Feature Requests forum section improvements

ertagon2

ertagon2
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Just a bit of perspective on the time frame. As of today this request only has 35 likes so it's not exactly super popular or in high customer demand.
It wasn't until almost 2 years ago that the 20th person commented in the thread. This of course is only one of many metrics, but I think it shows why other things were done before it as they had a bigger following.

Regardless of popularity any idea we think improves Emby will likely make it into the product at some point. If the item is highly popular it will likely get done sooner than something else , all things being equal. By that I mean there is no prep work or foundational work needed first.  Even a super popular request might get pushed to later with other requests done first if foundational work should/needs to be done first.

For example, both collections and playlists stored their information in text files vs a database and we had both already planned to migrate to a database. We did exactly that for Collections and it takes a lot of design, planning and especially testing to make sure things migrate smoothly for the userbase. We could have followed up the Collection migration right away with a playlist migration, but we also knew we had music library changes planned to improve the music library. Since music is a big part of playlist use it only makes logical sense to do the music changes before any playlist changes.

The release that included collection changes and the release including the music changes were the two longest beta cycles I can remember in a long time and maybe the two longest ever. Those two releases really needed to be done first to pave the way for the playlist changes requested. Beside these two completed items there is additional foundational type work that needed to be done in order to have a concept of public vs private access. On top of that you need to have another layer of permissions management in place that isn't limited to admins but controllable by users to grant other users access to their lists or to make them available globally.  You need admin control over what a user is allowed to do or not allow to do with playlists.  You need the server APIs to understand these new permissions so that search results, displays and any other use of data understand public vs private and be able to quickly apply filters based on these new permissions.

If you follow Luke's posts recently, you'll see comments and questions on this new layer of permissions and how they might be handled in the UI. Some users following along probably already understood how it would fit in, as it's one of the last needed pieces to make this type of control over playlists a reality. Hopefully most will understand we design something like this to be useful throughout the system for use with future improvements and new features and not just add it for only one part of the system such as playlists. The logical first use of this is of course new Playlist functionality.

So, while you might say the request is 5 years old. I could just as easily say it really wasn't a request with much support behind it until about 2 years ago and we have been working on the foundation of Emby to make this and some other requests possible.  The reality of this is probably somewhere in the middle of those two points of reference with the team laying the groundwork needed to add this functionality. Hopefully this gives you a different perspective on things as the team did really like this request and have been working on things behind the scenes for quite a while to make this happen.

Carlo

Don't you dare use such metrics!
I said it many times already and I will say it again and again and again.
DO THIS https://features.jellyfin.org/

Only then will you be allowed to quote metrics!
Forum metrics my a**.
Things get lost on the forum. It's not easily browsable by feature.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Personally don't see that being any different then liking FR topics.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/14/2023 at 4:12 AM, ertagon2 said:

Don't you dare use such metrics!
I said it many times already and I will say it again and again and again.
DO THIS https://features.jellyfin.org/

Only then will you be allowed to quote metrics!
Forum metrics my a**.
Things get lost on the forum. It's not easily browsable by feature.

I'd have to say the same thing as @Happy2Play.
What to you is different between our Feature Request forum and the link you pointed to.

To me the link you provided is worse as it can't be easily searched like our feature request section can, it's visually harder to read, it doesn't allow the same level of replies or links to other posts as you can do here. It also doesn't add anything of statistical use. I think our forums are easier to follow.

What do you mean "things get lost"? If you mean a topic gets pushed back to page 5 making it harder to find, that in itself is an indication it's not very popular and likely doesn't have much support by other users.

What is wrong with the metrics I provided? Did I say something that was incorrect?
I certainly made it clear it's only one way to look at it.

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'd have to say the same thing as @Happy2Play.
What to you is different between our Feature Request forum and the link you pointed to.

To me the link you provided is worse as it can't be easily searched like our feature request section can, it's visually harder to read, it doesn't allow the same level of replies or links to other posts as you can do here. It also doesn't add anything of statistical use. I think our forums are easier to follow.

What do you mean "things get lost"? If you mean a topic gets pushed back to page 5 making it harder to find, that in itself is an indication it's not very popular and likely doesn't have much support by other users.

What is wrong with the metrics I provided? Did I say something that was incorrect?
I certainly made it clear it's only one way to look at it.

Big difference on the basic ability to sort.

with JF - simply view by 'Most Wanted' and it puts all the most wanted items to the top of the list ..

How is this achieved in the Emby Forum ?  There is no way to list anything by the number of 'likes' ?  Number of Views means nothing.

Maybe if @Abobader added the ability to sort by 'likes' - then it would start to resemble a list ...

image.png.ca2fdefc4817e539b7c47c5c21b67d3b.png

All we get in Emby is this -

image.png.1b5ee287e4078da20939d1a50672ffb6.png

• Like 4

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

There is no way to list anything by the number of 'likes' ?

You mean this? FR section has sort mode. 

Screenshot_20230315_170205_Opera.jpg

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

doh! - not sure how I missed that.

ok - almost there - for 'Completed' Items - why are they not marked as 'solved' ?  meaning we can remove those from the list using the Filter ?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

doh! - not sure how I missed that.

ok - almost there - for 'Completed' Items - why are they not marked as 'solved' ?  meaning we can remove those from the list using the Filter ?

😃Now add your filter.  Helps some but still some need to be Marked.

image.png.edf2c7a8db0e2d33d73e024c87dc4198.png

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

😃Now add your filter.

image.png.edf2c7a8db0e2d33d73e024c87dc4198.png

I get that - but why are Completed Items not classed as 'Solved' ?

If I sort by 'Reactions' and Filter by 'Unsolved' - should I not get a list of all the outstanding items ?

Instead - I get this :-

(I have no interest in seeing FR's that have been completed ... 🤔)

The ability to filter/sort by 'Tag' would also be an improvement - the tags are there, we just can't use them.

Trying to say this is just as good as JF's version is simply not true .. sorry.

image.thumb.png.f9fe6d4d2e1f5f7e8dfb79f96045c7ca.png

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I get that - but why are Completed Items not classed as 'Solved' ?

Can be hard to Mark which post is a Solution/correct answer as Completed is just a title prefix.  The controversy of prefix tags.

Edited by Happy2Play

Possibly a solution could be to duplicate the Request Forum but add "completed" to the title and lock it.
Then as items are completed the thread could be moved to the completed section.
Not sure this is a better method but might be more friendly than filtering for most users to see if it's completed or not.

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Maybe if @Abobader added the ability to sort by 'likes' - then it would start to resemble a list ...

I post about this here:

Well that indicated, no one read what I post in that thread :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cayars said:

"completed" to the title and lock it

In my personal view matters, any request flag as "Completed" should be locked, @ebr

rbjtech
6 hours ago, Abobader said:

I post about this here:

Well that indicated, no one read what I post in that thread :)

Hi @Abobader - yes I missed that post.  Thanks for highlighting it again.

The ability to sort by 'likes/reactions' is great - but the Feature Requests which have been completed are no longer Feature Requests - they are now Functions ;)

I presume 'somebody' is marking them as 'Completed' (great), the same way they are marking them as 'In Progress' if they are started (again, great)

BUT

Users are unable to sort or filter by these tags - and thus the list shows them all.  We just want to see the 'Outstanding or In-Progress' items ordered by Reactions.  So the easiest way to do that, is to mark the 'Completed' items as 'Solved' - and then lock them as well as you suggest.

That way, I can filter on -

1) Sort = Most Reactions

2) Filter = Unsolved Topics

and get the list which I think everyone wants to see ?

9 hours ago, Abobader said:

In my personal view matters, any request flag as "Completed" should be locked, @ebr

Well, there have been a number of these requests that were completed but then there was further discussion about either usage or expanding the functionality in some way.

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Well, there have been a number of these requests that were completed but then there was further discussion about either usage or expanding the functionality in some way.

..and I'm all for AGILE development - but you can't run FR's like this - if the Feature as originally described has been completed - the it should be 'Resolved' and 'locked' imo.   The OP can raise a new FR, referencing the original if they like, with the new enhancements - and the process to review/reactions starts again on the enhancements.  It's the only fair way as there are pletnty of people in the queue .. 

For usability issues, then these should be raised as normal support calls no ?  A completed FR is no longer an FR, it's operational and thus a supported function ? .. ;)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

but you can't run FR's like this

Important to point out that this is a user-feedback forum.  It isn't our method of tracking work.

5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

A completed FR is no longer an FR, it's operational and thus a supported function

That is always up to interpretation as it is probably rare for a feature to be implemented exactly as it was requested.  But, @Abobaderif you want to change the "Completed" prefix to also lock the topic, we can try that out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebr said:

But, @Abobaderif you want to change the "Completed" prefix to also lock the topic, we can try that out.

Done.

• Thanks 1

Also I think we should introduce more prefixes, like "Good FR", "Consider" ... etc, that indicated a good FR, but no promise from the Emby dev's to do, like maybe.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Also I think we should introduce more prefixes, like "Good FR", "Consider" ... etc, that indicated a good FR, but no promise from the Emby dev's to do, like maybe.

While we're at it, why not add Filter for all available prefixes? 

Edit: Or at least most common/indicative ones: Completed/Declined/In-progress... etc.? 

Screenshot_20230316_111952_Opera.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
59 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Edit: Or at least most common/indicative ones: Completed/Declined/In-progress... etc.? 

Screenshot_20230316_111952_Opera.png

Exactly - us mere mortals only get to filter on 'Solved' or 'Unsolved'.  If we could filter out 'Completed' etc (or somebody mark then as solved 🤬) - then the list starts to become much more useful..

jaycedk

Lol just read all the postes from today.

Here is one for you all.

Feature Request, about handling of Feature Request, within another Feature Request.

This should have been moved in its own Feature Request, and not stayed within this Feature Request.

😂🤣

Edited by jaycedk
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

As already shared internally with staff:

Following Feature Requests forum section shortcomings discussion that has developed in an unrelated topic:

I reckon Dev team should start prefixing all new FR topics along with prefixing existing ones as they stumble upon them; there is enough existing prefixes (and some new might be included, as per Abo's suggestion in the same thread, like "Considered") that should cover practically any scenario, and over time eventually all FRs would be prefixed/tagged - as IMHO all should be, to give indication of its status. If additional Filters implemented, that would increase its usability for end user tenfold. 

Just my 2c

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

When you click on any prefixes, it will display all the threads with that prefix type.

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Abobader said:

When you click on any prefixes, it will display all the threads with that prefix type.

Yes, but Sort order is not respected in that case, its random. Sort>Filter is desired workflow.