Useful PowerShell Scripts?

Oracle

Oracle

Hello,

As I continue to venture elbow-deep into PowerShell and other scripting languages, I'm curious as to what others are using PowerShell for in their environment with Emby.

Currently, I've automated a backup and have also automated library scans and scheduled tasks stuff.

What have others done?

GrimReaper

I reckon @ginjaninjamight give you a hint or two there as he has several pwsh scripts floating around the forum (one of which is my daily driver as well). 

Edited by GrimReaper
Link
  • Like 1

Oracle
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I reckon @ginjaninjamight give you a hint or two there as he has several pwsh scripts floating around the forum (one of which is my daily driver as well). 

That one is useful! I'll probably start using that to get more granular with how things are filtered and restricted for my kids.

• Agree 1

ginjaninja

nice to know people are finding some use for them

@Arly (Sprinkles)i publish all the script iv ever done in this forum, thanks to @PenkethBoyfor getting me started.

trying to learn c# / plugins now.

For me the holy grail would be extending the ui to run scripts on objects but thats not possible for now....

The most wacky interesting use ive made of powershell is the playlist manager. Powershell's out-gridview on Windows seemed particularly suited to rapid development of this...doesnt look pretty but it works 🙂 with minimal lines of code.

Oracle
3 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

nice to know people are finding some use for them

@Arly (Sprinkles)i publish all the script iv ever done in this forum, thanks to @PenkethBoyfor getting me started.

trying to learn c# / plugins now.

For me the holy grail would be extending the ui to run scripts on objects but thats not possible for now....

The most wacky interesting use ive made of powershell is the playlist manager. Powershell's out-gridview on Windows seemed particularly suited to rapid development of this...doesnt look pretty but it works 🙂 with minimal lines of code.

Thanks, @ginjaninja

I'll be taking a look at your work for sure! Have you successfully created any plugins? It'd be cool to learn C# as well! What are your learning sources?

ginjaninja
2 minutes ago, Arly (Sprinkles) said:

Thanks, @ginjaninja

I'll be taking a look at your work for sure! Have you successfully created any plugins? It'd be cool to learn C# as well! What are your learning sources?

ah i had a very generous mentor who lent me their time and expertise..its a steep learning curve from scripting to be sure..

Im not at a level yet where i understand enough about what im doing to give informed advice.(powershell/api  on the other hand im very confident with).

the devs are making plugin development more accessible via plugin sample code on dev.emby.media. chef posted some videos to help people get started. I think in practice one needs to be quite familiar with c# development (which im not) in general to easily pick it up from scratch..but with a few examples i do believe it could be more straight forward (so anyone with a coding mentality could muddle their way through).

have you published your scripts? would be interested to take a look.

Oracle
51 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

ah i had a very generous mentor who lent me their time and expertise..its a steep learning curve from scripting to be sure..

Im not at a level yet where i understand enough about what im doing to give informed advice.(powershell/api  on the other hand im very confident with).

the devs are making plugin development more accessible via plugin sample code on dev.emby.media. chef posted some videos to help people get started. I think in practice one needs to be quite familiar with c# development (which im not) in general to easily pick it up from scratch..but with a few examples i do believe it could be more straight forward (so anyone with a coding mentality could muddle their way through).

have you published your scripts? would be interested to take a look.

I haven't published anything yet, no. However, here is the super-duper barebones of one of my scripts. This backs up my content using Robocopy. This is just an example and shows no PII for the server or anything. Maybe once I feel more comfortable with my abilities, I'll publish some of my nonsense.

server_sync_utility_v1.0.6.ps1