Display correct play order?

jriker1

jriker1

Not sure if this is the right place for this however MB 3 Classic on my XBox 360 is my primary use interface.  I have a couple scenarios where I have to keep track in a text file the "correct" order to watch a series of movies.  One is simple, one complex.  Let me explain and my end question is, how if at all, can MB present this information thru their interface?

Scenario 1: The fast and furious was filmed so that Tokyo Drift was the 3rd film recorded.  However someone dies in there that is then in the next few movies.  Basic concept is whatever you do the third film will always be the last film unless there is a film that finally portrays that guy as dead so today it was filmed as:

1. The Fast and the Furious
2. 2 Fast 2 Furious
3. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
4. Fast & Furious
5. Fast Five
6. Fast & Furious 6

but should be watched as:

1. The Fast and the Furious
2. 2 Fast 2 Furious
3. Fast & Furious
4. Fast Five
5. Fast & Furious 6
6. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift 

Scenario 2:  Won't even get into the logistics of watch order here but Marvel.  The order filmed of all the super hero movies plus the Marvel TV shows are all over the place but there is a order to watch that makes the most sense.  Considering I have all these films and TV series on my MB3 have to again keep track on a text file on my PC how to watch everything and go to my computer to see what's next.

Any answers to how to get Media Browser to display things in the right order when going thru the cover flow of a Collection or maybe for scenario 2 be able to create a custom collection that spans other collections and TV shows?

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

BATTLE DONKEY

When u go into metadata manager, and click a movie, the 3rd field down will be "sort order" change that to the order u want such as fast and furious 1, fast and furious 2, etc. As for adding TV shows, to marvel universe, I know you can create a collection with movies and TV shows in it (even music & video games) but I don't know about controlling the sort order inside the collection. Create a collection and see if the sort order is available and what happens when u mix it between TV series and movies

jriker1

When u go into metadata manager, and click a movie, the 3rd field down will be "sort order" change that to the order u want such as fast and furious 1, fast and furious 2, etc. As for adding TV shows, to marvel universe, I know you can create a collection with movies and TV shows in it (even music & video games) but I don't know about controlling the sort order inside the collection. Create a collection and see if the sort order is available and what happens when u mix it between TV series and movies

OK I created a new Collection for Marvel.  Probably won't show as I disabled the category for the auto generated Collections and looks like that's where this would end up.  Prefer my collections to show with the rest of the movies, not completely separate.  I never say "Hey, let's watch a movie that was made up of more than one movie".  I usually scroll thru and see what I'm interested in.  But I digress, everyone is different.

So I added all the shows up until the Agents of Shield TV Shows.

1037ghv.png

How do I make for instance Captain America First, Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter second, Iron Man third, The Incredible Hulk 4th, etc.?  Do I go back to the Metadata tab of the collection and literally type in a comma separated list of the full name as shown on the screen (if they weren't cut off)?

Also when I get to Agents of Shield, that is broken up as well.  So first when you get there you watch the first 7 episodes.  Then watch a a movie and one-shot.  Then watch the next 8, then another movie.  Then the rest of the first season.  The interface doesn't let you pick individual TV shows, just the "Season".

1zegwm8.png

Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Appreciate the help.

JR

Edited by jriker1

Use the sort name field as Battle Donkey indicated for your second issue as well.  It might get a little trickier since there is such a mixture, but if you are willing to allow them to sort all together in the regular views too, then you could just put "marvel 1", "marvel 2" etc. for sort names.

And your collections will show up in your normal views if you turn on the option to "Collapse movies into Collections" both in the server user preferences and in MBC.

jriker1

OK I'm a bit dense but after reading Battle Donkey's comment another 3 times think I understand.  So for simplicity put the following in Sort Name:

The Fast and the Furious PUT a 1
2 Fast 2 Furious  PUT a 2
Fast & Furious  PUT a 3
Fast Five  PUT a 4
Fast & Furious 6  PUT a 5
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo  PUT a 6

So in the Metadata Manager all good:

ehyxlk.png

But in the Movie Collection view thru the web I still get:

afft7b.png

Not sure what it will do on the XBox yet as not near it.

Also with Agents of Shield TV Series assume no way to break that out by episode in the Collection I created?

JR

Choose the "..." in the collection view and set the sort order to name.  I'm guessing the default sort order for collections is release date.

Also, you don't want just "1" or "2" in those sort names.  You want "Fast and furious 1".  Notice I left off the "the".  That will make them sort properly in views outside of the collection as well.

jriker1

Choose the "..." in the collection view and set the sort order to name.  I'm guessing the default sort order for collections is release date.

Also, you don't want just "1" or "2" in those sort names.  You want "Fast and furious 1".  Notice I left off the "the".  That will make them sort properly in views outside of the collection as well.

Ahh.  Cool.  You can actually set the sort order individually per Collection.  Was concerned I would have to set to sort by Name across the board.

Will assume the non response to my Agents of Shield TV show dilemma is there is no good answer or I stated it poorly?  In essence, how do you get a Collection that contains individual movies, as well as individual TV episodes.  Seems the Collection search looks at TV shows as a whole, not as individual "movies" per my screen shot above.

EDIT:  Also when I name the Collection ANYTHING that contains Marvel, like just "Marvel" or "Marvel Collection" it keeps trying to match it to something.  So one time I got "Marvel Knights - Astonishing X-Men".  Now getting "The Avengers Collection".  Can I tell it to stop guessing at what TMDBID it matches to?  EDIT EDIT:  Seems naming it "Marvel Custom Collection" stops it from updating the metadata.

JR

Edited by jriker1

AgileHumor

Personally, I feel collections sort should be first to last (by date, not sort order)

I can't seem to (with square theme) get reverse date order descending order...so I can't group play them in the correct order.   It just orders them last to first...instead of the ideal first to last.

I guess maybe you can't add individual episodes to a collection.  I actually doubt there is anything technically that prevents it - there just is no interface for you to do it.

jriker1

Thanks ebr.  So close.  MB3 is still totally awesome as this is a fairly nitch need I would think though have seen others with similar complexities.  Guess I'll put in a feature request and hope.

Edit:  Uh oh.  Something went wrong.  Any thoughts?  My collection contents disappeared.

2v96oo5.png

Any idea what would have caused that?

NOTE: I figured it out but not really.  When I go to the collection and click Refresh and select all meatadata and images all the movies I added to the collection go away.  Almost like it can't find a match in TMDBID so kills the contents.  Just my theory.  I also had the auto boxset plugin installed but removed and restarted MB.  Still does the same thing when you recreate a collection.  Note if on my custom Marvel collection I click refresh and set Metadata and Image to None, which should then do nothing, the movies also go away from the collection.  When I first created the collection I did NOT check the box that says "Search the internet for artwork and metadata".

I've uploaded a log containing just when I was adding a video to a collection. Then saved another log when I clicked refresh and the movie went away.  Not sure if they tell anything.

JR

Adding Video.txt

Executed Refresh.txt

Edited by jriker1