Android Auto - Wireguard VPN / Emby Software Bug Error: Network Error

davidawarner

davidawarner

Developers, 

Before I begin, I want to let you know that I have no problems streaming any media from my Synology NAS using Wireguard VPN to my S22Ultra phone. 
In my car, friends house, work, I am able to stream w/o any data packet loss. Now, there might come a time where I hit a grey area and that's to be expected.

What I notice is when accessing EMBY interface with Android Auto, if I am searching, or accessing folders, bringing up the playlist I am usually greeted with the 'Network Error' first time around and  
then I go back one screen then back into what I was trying to connect with and no problems. 

Here is my tech info

pfSense running latest firewall OS with wire guard 2.6.0-RELEASE (amd64)
Synology DS720+ (Latest OS) DSM 7
Embry Server for NAS Version 4.7.11.0
S22Ultra Samsung latest OS (Android 14) and EMBY client  v3.2.92
Wire guard client latest version for Android  v1.0.20220516
Toyota RAV4 Year 2021
Toyota RAV4 latest firmware updated

Now, when this issue occurs I monitor my IP traffic and there is no data loss. In addition, able to use third party app like Solid Explorer to browser my network shares. 
In addition, able to ping my EMBY server and monitor any packet loss there - none. Cleared EMBY client cache on android device, good ole reboot of NAS server and Emby server.

So my belief is that it is the software communication between Android Auto and Emby. Why? If I am not using Android Auto and accessing my NAS with EMBY outside my network with my phone absolute no problems with browsing, viewing, deleting, interacting with the web client. 

Have spoke with others via Reddit forum for Toyota and Emby and the same behavior as been documented. 

Any ideas if this is being looked at?

Please advise and Thank You

tvos

Edited by davidawarner

pwhodges

The first step is to provide server logs from when this happens, as described here:

Paul

davidawarner
2 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

The first step is to provide server logs from when this happens, as described here:

Paul

Hello Paul, 

I will provide the logs and narrow down the time during my testing so it will be easier for you to ID. 

Now, do you want the logs from Android as well?

Please advise

tvos

davidawarner
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, for now let's start with the server log and then we'll go from there. Thanks.

Good Morning Luke, 

I have attached the embyserver log for your review. 

Couple errors jump out at me but not sure if this is related to what I am seeing with Android Auto / Emby integration. This is abbreviated error seen through out
the server log.

2023-03-16 07:56:20.716 Info Trakt: Could not match user with any stored credentials
2023-03-16 08:08:18.168 Error Trakt: Could not match trakt user

\\10.190.39.5\Transfer\EMBY Android Auto\03-16-2023 embyserver.txt (38 hits)
    Line 214: 2023-03-16 07:38:28.292 Error Server: Error processing request
    Line 214: 2023-03-16 07:38:28.292 Error Server: Error processing request
    Line 215:     *** Error Report ***
    Line 249: 2023-03-16 07:39:23.773 Error Trakt: Could not match trakt user
    Line 259: 2023-03-16 07:51:33.147 Error Trakt: Could not match trakt user
    Line 280: 2023-03-16 07:51:45.192 Error Trakt: Could not match trakt user
    Line 906: 2023-03-16 09:36:40.768 Error UserManager: Error authenticating with provider Default
    Line 906: 2023-03-16 09:36:40.768 Error UserManager: Error authenticating with provider Default
    Line 907:     *** Error Report ***

Now, as for the time line this morning and make it easier for you when viewing the logs and tracing through time. At 7:56AM PST, I was playing a song
and decided to navigate to my Playlist 'Garage Cleanup'. While the music is playing I selected 'Random' for playback and immediately greeted with the 'Network Error'. 
Go back a screen then to the playlist, select Random shuffle and immediately plays the next song as expected behavior. 

So from 7:56AM PST - 8:08AM PST - I could duplicate this behavior at random. Go into the playlist, select shuffle and it would display the Network Error or shuffle to the next song. 
During my testing, I would leave the error message up on the console and verify I still could connect to my NAS home shares and also ping the NAS. Please note music is still playing during this testing. There has to be some disconnect between EMBY and Android Auto.

Let me know what you find and also what this Trakt error means. 

Thank You for your support and I am really enjoying EMBY as a registered customer.

Dave

20230316_075603.jpg

03-16-2023 embyserver.txt

davidawarner
On 3/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, Luke said:

Hi, for now let's start with the server log and then we'll go from there. Thanks.

Hello Luke and Support,

Server logs have been uploaded for your review, Haven't heard back from your response so following up.

Please advise

Dave

Why? If I am not using Android Auto and accessing my NAS with EMBY outside my network with my phone absolute no problems with browsing, viewing, deleting, interacting with the web client. 

It's possible it could be performance related. Android Auto is controlled heavily by the OS, unlike our app. Requests have to come back quickly or it will just fail them outright. 

davidawarner
11 hours ago, Luke said:

It's possible it could be performance related. Android Auto is controlled heavily by the OS, unlike our app. Requests have to come back quickly or it will just fail them outright. 

So where do we go from here? Did you get the opportunity to review the logs? Anything jump out at you?

Please advise and Thank You

Dave

• 1 month later...
davidawarner
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you still running into this?

Yes sir.. ;-(  
I have Emby on S22ULTRA and Note10+ exhibiting the same behavior. 

Thank You

Dave

VirgilFox

I see the same behavior with a OnePlus 9 Pro connected to Android Auto in a 2019 Honda Odyssey.

davidawarner
57 minutes ago, VirgilFox said:

I see the same behavior with a OnePlus 9 Pro connected to Android Auto in a 2019 Honda Odyssey.

Definitely sounds like to me a software bug in Emby software. Reason would tell me if I have tried this on two different phones, cars, and 
different versions of Android. - this would back up my concern. Sounds like when we make the request to connect to the service, Emby prematurely loses connection
which results in the connection error. As I am connected via wire guard or OpenVPN to my firewall and can ping the Synology NAS server but connection is lost
with Emby, this tells me that there might be a connectivity time out with the client. 

Can the devs share their thoughts please?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

As I am connected via wire guard or OpenVPN to my firewall and can ping the Synology NAS server but connection is lost
with Emby, this tells me that there might be a connectivity time out with the client. 

Android Auto requires fast responses. What I mean by that is the OS imposes a requirement on apps using Android Auto that any data or stream requests have to respond quickly, within a few seconds. If that doesn't happen, then the system considers it timed out and gives the user a network-related error message.

Do you have anything in your network setup that might be causing slow responses?

davidawarner
On 5/29/2023 at 8:36 PM, Luke said:

Do you have anything in your network setup that might be causing slow responses?

Hello Luke and Thank You for responding back.  I had to rethink this and verify the workflow and how the data is transmitted. 

I believe it not to be within my network for the mere reason is that if I am not using Android Auto interface integrated with Emby, there are no issue's with packet loss or response time.
Able to listen, watch, browse with Emby w/o error. When using Android Auto with Emby I was also pinging my firewall for response times. There was no packet loss at all. 

If I am away from home across the world connected through wireguard vpn into my pfSense firewall, I am not seeing any packet loss. So it is either Emby not sending the data quick enough or Android putting the cart before the horse.

Let me know your thoughts.

Dave

• Thanks 1