Slight Overscan

rexerm

rexerm

I suspect this is a Roku issue and not an Emby issue, but was curious if this was fixable on your end.  I have a Streaming Stick 4K+ connected to an LG C2. In comparing the Roku Emby app with the LG app, I can see the Roku version has very slight overscan (cropping the edges of the screen).  Using a test video, I've attached screenshots showing the difference between the Roku and LG Emby apps on the same TV with the same picture settings (in fact, the C2 has no way to zoom or overscan or crop in this way by itself).  The Roku Youtube app has the same issue, so I'm guessing the Roku folks have a setting screwed up on their side.

LG-emby.jpg

roku-emby.jpg

Hi.  This is usually adjustable in the "input" settings for the TV and, I think, the Roku has settings for this itself.  Look under Display in the Roku system settings.

rexerm
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This is usually adjustable in the "input" settings for the TV and, I think, the Roku has settings for this itself.  Look under Display in the Roku system settings.

It's not something, as I mentioned, that can be changed on LG C2s (or the Samsung I used to own). It's also not something that can be adjusted in any setting in the Roku menus (selecting Auto / 4K / 1080p / 720p is about all you are offered these days). I've actually even checked a couple of the hidden service menus without luck.  I'm convinced this is a weird bug the Roku people haven't caught (or don't care about), but I was kind of curious if it was something that could be worked around on the app developer side of things.

@rexermIs it zoomed in always? What I mean is does this happen everywhere or does it only occur when using the videoplayer?

rexerm
14 minutes ago, speechles said:

@rexermIs it zoomed in always? What I mean is does this happen everywhere or does it only occur when using the videoplayer?

Well, it's difficult to say, as the zoom is pretty minor.  It's actually far more noticeable in the Youtube app, as many folks put text or timers or the like right on the edge of the frame.

Which resolution is the device set to?

If you change resolutions, does this effect change?

rexerm

Good question: it's set to 4k Dolby Vision HDR TV.  Changing it to 1080p surprisingly makes the cropping a lot worse.

rexerm

Ah, so apparently there is a setting under Display -> Aspect Ratio that affects this.  I'd assumed this was just to toggle the "stretch all 4x3 material to 16:9 like my grandma likes" mode, but there is also a Just setting in there that needs to be switched from Auto to On to fix this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1