Transcoding GPU - ESXi and TrueNAS

NanPatterson
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

NanPatterson

All, I just wanted to confirm something if possible.  I have two servers.  One is an ESXi box hosting a Windows Server VM that has Emby Server installed. Another is a TrueNAS box that stores all my movies and shows, among other things.  I am going to toss in a GPU to help with transcoding.  Does the actual transcoding take place on the storage server or server hosting the Emby server install?  Thanks.

• Solution
pwhodges

It's the Emby server doing the transcoding, not the storage (which knows nothing about its content) - so it's the Emby server that needs access to the GPU.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Thanks 1

pwhodges

Check out if there are any limitations on what GPUs can be passed through by ESXi to the VM.  I know it can be done, but no other details.

Paul

• 3 months later...
NanPatterson

Update - Swapped over to XCP-ng with two SYS-6019U-TRT servers and a P4000 in the one running the Emby VM using passthrough. I tested with Twister (VC1, burned in subtitles) since it always skipped/buffered when streaming; it ran perfect.

I tried a 4K and there was some struggle still but I think that may be too heavy on my wireless.  Will test that again when I have a wired client.

• Thanks 1