take music (release) date taken from `originaldate` not from `date`

joshinils

joshinils

seeing how musicbrainz picard has taggend my music, the `date` field is filled with 2009-10-28, the `originaldate` field contains 1973-10-19.

I can say for myself that I do not care when the certain physical release was made, but for sorting and display the `originaldate` is much more useful.

For re-releases later on, the `originaldate` is the same for the same album, the `date` is not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi.  But aren't re-mixes and re-releases actually different things from the original and you would want to be able to see them that way?

Vicpa
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  But aren't re-mixes and re-releases actually different things from the original and you would want to be able to see them that way?

Sure sometimes but in that case the OringinalDate would equal = the Date (Release).

If it isn't important, the original date is the one you want.

- vicpa

joshinils
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Sometimes yes, sometimes it is just a plain re-release (with a different copyright year on the back etc.). Maybe it is a re-master or contains an additional song, but most of the time it doesn't matter to me, I want the original release date.