Spectrum suposedly implementing data caps in may

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I have just found out that the long anticipated change is coming in may.
https://cordcuttersnews.com/data-caps-are-likely-coming-to-spectrum-customers-soon/

I do not think I get close to any reasonable data usage cap but I do not know for sure.
I get all my TV through streaming but I only watch and record soccer matches, mostly.
I do not use gaming at all and there is noone else in my household. I also use the internet for a lot of my phone calls but I speak very little on the phone. I doubt my phone usage matters much. I do not use any streaming service except Hulu and that is only for live TV.
I have an Archer A9 router and I see that it offers good detail about a given device's data consumption but I cannot find any place that spells out exactly what data is being use by the internet and what is strictly local.

Does anyone know if that kind of stat is available on the router or if there is another way to find it out.

Like I said I do not think my data usage will approach any reasonable cap but I would prefer to be sure.

I am open to any ideas or methods that I can use to find my total internet data usage.
I do not want to reduce my streaming and data usage but even that is on the table.

This is not critical but I do not want to wait to the last minute to make changes if changes are what is needed.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, :)

• Sad 1

Sammy

Crap!

Here's my data usage for the last 30 days from my Ubiquity Dream Machine (UDM) Router..

Down 3.01 TB

Up 103 GB

Total 3.12 TB.

I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping their TV Service in June when my promo expires and that ends up increasing by about $60/month considering they've already increased the CableCARD from $2 to $6 and I have 2 and the Broadcast Surcharge has gone from around $11 to $22 over the last 5 or 6 years. Now this.

Any quality router should give you traffic statistics, BTW.

Edited by Sammy

Gilgamesh_48
16 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Any quality router should give you traffic statistics, BTW.

Yes. I have an Archer A9 and that is supposed to be a pretty good router and I find there is a section that gives local data usage by device but I cannot find any info about how much internet data I am using.

I tried moving around through the Archer's advanced settings and I even went so far as to read the entire online user's manual. So far the internet data usage is among the missing. But it well could be that my old brain, I am well over 70, is simply not processing the info when I see it.

I have thought about installing DD-WRT on the router as I mostly know where to find everything and how to read the info in a DD-WRT router. But I have held off because I get tired pretty easily now and I do not want to exhaust myself with the task incomplete.

My hope is that once again Spectrum changes their mind but, this time, I think it is going to happen.

However there is sure to be a huge reaction as the data caps get closer.

The last time I dealt with Spectrum (To change my services) was about 6 months ago and two of the reps I spoke with kind of hinted about this coming. Of course the other two did not make any such hint.

Like I said, because I am the only user in my household and I do not allow remote connections and I nearly never stream above 1080p I believe I will be way under any reasonable cap. I just want to be sure as any unexpected large expense could greatly reduce my monetary cushion. I am retired and have become unable to even work much consulting.

I am quite sure I will survive this but I HATE SURPRISES. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Dreakon13

Interesting.  I recently used a new fiber provider in the area to get Spectrum to lower my bill to one of their promo deals, if they actually do this I'm glad I have an alternative now.  Disappointing to see talk of data caps, but I was already tempted to jump ship so if Spectrum wants to push the issue lol.

Hell, just reading this, however true it is, is enough to make me think about switching again just to beat them to the punch.  But I got a really cheap bill for a year or so, so I might as well ride the wave.

FWIW, I can't find any news of this besides this article and another article referencing this article.  I think it's speculating a little since the FCC enforced no data caps as part of the merger for 7 years and that's either coming up or has passed... but just because they legally can now (if they can) doesn't mean they will.  It's not a great business move, especially with more providers popping up.

Edited by Dreakon13

Gilgamesh_48
3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Interesting.  I recently used a new fiber provider in the area to get Spectrum to lower my bill to one of their promo deals, if they actually do this I'm glad I have an alternative now.  Disappointing to see talk of data caps, but I was already tempted to jump ship so if Spectrum wants to push the issue lol.

Hell, just reading this, however true it is, is enough to make me think about switching again just to beat them to the punch.  But I got a really cheap bill for a year or so, so I might as well ride the wave.

FWIW, I can't find any news of this besides this article and another article referencing this article.  I think it's speculating a little since the FCC enforced no data caps as part of the merger for 7 years and that's either coming up or has passed... but just because they legally can now (if they can) doesn't mean they will.  It's not a great business move, especially with more providers popping up.

This has highlighted one of the major problems for much of the USA. That is much of the country has only one effective provider for internet so that provider can do what they please and charge what they please.

Since I started this thread I have extensively investigated all my alternatives to Spectrum internet and I have come up with effectively none. AT&T has service in my are but the top speed is either 6 or 8 mbs depending on who you believe but neither speed is suitable for my use. There are a few other options in my area but Spectrum and AT&T are all that are available at my exact location.
There is a satellite service available but it is quite expensive and the initial cost is high and, as with all satellite services, the latency is MUCH too high for me.

I hope you are correct that Spectrum is not dumb enough to really put data caps in place but I keep remembering:
"No one in this world, so far as I know and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby." - H.L. Mencken
Spectrum may well assume that the vast number of their customers are part of the "Great masses" and so they will not really lose anything by implementing data caps.

• 2 weeks later...