[BUG] Movie description make it invisible in server

McMovies

McMovies

not sure if this is the right section to report this kind of problem. ( if not please do move it to correct section) 

this is the title in context - https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/255559-l-attenzione

the moment we get the metadata (TMBD/IMDB). movie will NOT be visible in the server anymore. We can see all files in the respected directory but wont appear in the server/clients. 

Solution : manually edit the .nfo file , and edit the line 

<mpaa>18</mpaa>

to something like -

<mpaa>R</mpaa>

and re-scan library to make the movie will appear and work as expected.

may be, we need some kind of bid-fixing in the codes to accept and read numbers between mpaa  tags. 

Hope this help anyone in future. 

GrimReaper

Do you have any Parental controls applied for particular user? As that appears as if "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" option is enabled. 

McMovies
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Do you have any Parental controls applied for particular user? As that appears as if "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" option is enabled. 

No, no parental control.

I have two accounts,  one admin only, and other audience account - with non deleting rights  (so that things don't get delete accidentally).

both are set to - Maximum allowed parental rating: AO/RP/UR/NR/X/XXX

note - anything other than that number 18 was working fine. in-fact during troubleshooting i deleted the entire section <mpaa> and its solved the issue. later locked the nfo for further metadata editing as if we re-hash scrapper again changing the rating to 18 and making the movie invisible. 

Edited by McMovies

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, McMovies said:

No, no parental control.

17 minutes ago, McMovies said:

both are set to - Maximum allowed parental rating: AO/RP/UR/NR/X/XXX

Then yes, you do have some sort of Parental control in force - and yes, I can recreate your issue. But if you remove Parental control altogether (select Blank for Maximum allowed parental rating - first item in the dropdown), you'll get that item with 18 (or any other value) shown as well. 

@Luke, issue can be recreated by selecting AO/RP/UR/NR/X/XXX (while all items under Block items with... section are unticked) and having <mpaa>18 tag in nfo (while any other number works: 6,12...), item will be blocked. Once max. rating field is blanked (or nfo tag value changed) item is visible. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1

McMovies

edit+ additional thoughts:

I guess it has to do with something how the metadata is served by TMBD, and the nomenclature followed by different regions.

for example, "18" is followed by majority of European countries where as,  its US equivalent is NC-17, NZ wil label it as R18, and so on.. my emby is configured to use "US" rating system for this particular library, where as tmbd served EU rating.. hence the issue i guess. 

so not exactly emby's fault. and this seems to be an edge case.  @GrimReaper

Edited by McMovies

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, McMovies said:

I guess it has to do with something how the metadata is served by TMBD, and the nomenclature followed by different regions.

Correct, but that is not the issue here, as it should be displayed nevertheless. 

3 minutes ago, McMovies said:

so not exactly emby's fault

It actually is, because if your did not specifically opted-in to block items with unrecognized rating information (which is applicable in your case, as it doesn't follow US MPAA rating guidelines), item should be visible, as stated above. And what is the case with any other value except number 18, as observed. 

• Agree 1

McMovies
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

And what is the case with any other value except number 18, as observed.

yes - this is true. 

GrimReaper

Or the logic is, since NC-17 is highest actual rating, that anything >17 does not display - if so, that is not properly conveyed in the dropdown menu, as one would surmise that  next higher-tier will include everything 18 and above, though those are practically undefined ratings: Adults Only/Rating Pending/Unknown Rating/Not Rated/X/XXX. I reckon that dropdown entry should be appended with /18+ and control logic adjusted, if so. 

If your ratings value has something the server doesn't understand, then it tries to find some way to still use it. In this case, the number ends up becoming the comparison value. For example if your mpaa value was set to 1, everything would still show up.