Option to skip the top / first folder level

RkcCorian

RkcCorian

Hello together,

I have from two sources folder wich are named "Bilder_Videos". I would like to have the option to skip a folder level in case all folders at a certain level are the same and no picture or videos at this level are there.

I looks like this...
Library "Gemeinsam" > twice the folder "Bilder_Videos" > Folders where the pictures and videos are inside.
I would like to skip the 
"Bilder_Videos" in navigation, so that I will see Library "Gemeinsam" > 2 times the folder "Bilder_Videos" > Folders where the pictures and videos are inside

Many thanks in advance!!

Screenshot 2023-03-04 084516.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Modified Title

Hi.  That looks like it is two folders at the same level, not two nested folders.  Can you please show exactly how this is setup in your file system?

But, for clarification, folder view is designed to show exactly how your file system is organized.  It does this because people use folder view expressly for this purpose - to see their media in the way they actually organized it in the file system.

So, I guess I would ask, why is it organized this way if you don't want to see it this way or, if you don't want to see it the way it is physically organized, why use folder view?

RkcCorian

Hi!

So the background is the following... we have for everybody in the family two folders at the NAS. One folder contains aprox. the last year data and another folder which holds the data older than that. The folder which contains aprox. the last year data will be snchronized with all the Laptops of the family via GoodSync. Advantage: The "current" year data is always available also when taking the laptop to somewhere else + it is backed up at the NAS + synchronized via different machines. Remark: The laptop cannot simply contain the full data is too big.

So we have two main folders, per familiy member, one in sync btw. Laptop and NAS and one beeing only at the NAS. Both folders are from the same user and both contain a corresponding picture and video folder. So per user we created one library containing both main picture and video folders. There this feature would only be relevant for the 1st folder level below the library.

Remark: It is not a good option to add to the library each "single year" folder as this would cause maintenance effort wherever the requested solution works all the time.

So, I can understand that the folder view shall contain the folders at the system (what I also would like have). But for this use case as there are two folders of same name with nothing else beside this folder level makes no sense. I used Jellyfin till now where this is working but as the performance is too poor I'm switching now to emby.

I hope I was able to explain the topic. 🙃 I attached also a Screenshot that should show this partly. 

Screenshot 2023-03-04 163627.png

Edited by RkcCorian

Are these shares from another computer or paths on the same computer from different drives?

In either case one thing you could do is rename each of them so you have Bilder_Videos_Gemelinsam1 and Bilder_Videos_Gemelinsam2 which would aid in knowing which one you're looking at.  It would defeat the purpose of folder view if we skipped showing empty directories as the purpose of folder view is to match the directory structure as close as possible for any paths added to a library.

If this was a Linux based system you could also use one of the union utilities to join multiple sources into one symbolic directory which you add to Emby. Windows isn't quite that flexible yet but using something like SnapRAID would give the same result.

Edited by cayars

RkcCorian

Hi cayars,

many thanks for taking the time!

1. The drives are all on our / the same NAS

2. No need the rename (which would be an ugly workaround with side effects). I gave them for the moment different pictures

3. Symbolic links that can merge 2 folders would be fine for me (even this would be only a workaround for a missing functionality in my eyes). But I do not know how to do this. I checked the internet but did not found a possibility with Synology NAS (which is based in linux but very restricted access). Do you know some tool that I can use with Synology?! Many thanks in advance!!!
My opinion: It would be better for me if I could configure this either in the GUI, or in some config file or via an "transparent"-file which makes a dedicated folder hierarchie transparent

Greetings!

Let me get some additional information to understand your situation better before suggesting any specific.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in your pic.
What is Server_Gemeinsam & Synchron_Gemeinsam?
Are these shared folders setup in DSM?
What Synology NAS is this?

From Synology Storage Manager how many storage pools do you have?
What is the configuration of each storage pool?
How many disks are in the pool and what type of format is used (ie hybrid RAID 5)?

RkcCorian

We have allways 2 kind of folders. This schema repeat for multiple family members. @cayars
Server_<Name> contains the data only on the NAS, it contains huge number of data > containing a subfolder which is storing picture and videos
Synchron_<Name> contains that data that is synchronized with multiple Laptops > containing a subfolder which is as well storing picture and videos

Each library is therefore refering to two folders, one is coming from a Server_<name> folder and one from a Synchron_<name> folder.

I have a DS923+ with one storage pool, with 2 disks and a SHR. On the DS the latest OS is running which is DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 195825.png

I get the "Server" vs "Synchron" difference but why use the same directory name "Bilder_Videos_Gemeinsam" under both?
If you mount (add these to Emby) using /Synchron_Gemeinsam and /Server_Gemeinsam you won't be able to tell in folder view which Bilder_Videos_Gemeinsam is which.

You could rename "Bilder_Videos_Gemeinsam" to "Synchron_Bilder_Videos_Gemeinsam" as well as "Server_Gemeins_Bilder_Videos_Gemeinsam" which would make it clear.

I have "/Media/Home_Videos_Photos" and the a username under this I sync to:
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Ed
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Hannah
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Noah

That allows me to see where the info comes from as well as configure what users can see as well using folder access permissions in Emby.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160108-folder-based-access-control

Would that be something that you are trying to do?

RkcCorian

Even if I would rename the folders it would not make any sense to have them as hierarchie. I choose now two different pictures so I'm able to differentiate them.

Even in your structure I would have the same problem. I would have...
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo_Sync
/Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo_ServerOnly

... and therefore 2 folders. Inside those I have the years and then the events. Taking you example in "Carlo_Sync" there are the year 2022 and 2023 (so the last year data aprox.) where Carlo_ServerOnly contains e.g., 1982, 1983, ...2000, 2021.
As next I configure the library to refer to Carlo_Sync AND Carlo_ServerOnly to have ALL the Carlo pictures and videos. But when I go "inside" the library Carlo I would like to see the folders 1982, ..., 2023 directly and NOT Carlo_Sync and Carlo_ServerOnly as TOP level first.

The problems starts that I CANNOT combine Carlo_Sync and Carlo_ServerOnly to ONE single Carlo folder. So logically there are two idea how to solve this...
1. There is a possibility to combine both folders to one symbolic folder and pass that to the container
2. Emby is able that I can make folders transparent so they will be not shown BUT the content inside

I hope it is now clear 🙂

Hi.  Cayars is working to try and find some sort of solution for you within the current design because this is such a niche situation that I doubt it is something that will get added.  Of course a bunch of people could come in here and prove me wrong...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

RkcCorian

I though again about the merging... even this would work I guess it will not help. Because I have to add /Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo to the library and then in the library I see a single folder Carlo, is this right?! If yes... I would like to skip the first folder level, so I would like to see the folders inside Carlo (without the need to configure each sub-folder of Carlo)

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, RkcCorian said:

add /Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo to the library and then in the library I see a single folder Carlo, is this right?

It's not. You wouldn't see library top folder, only if you added another folder as library path.

RkcCorian

Ahhh, ok. Many thanks!

But then I'm wondering why the folders are coming at all. And I'm really happy that I have a "real" folder view in Emby. Still I would be even more happy if I can configure this behaviour of the first folder level to be able to skip this. 🙃 I mean when I have /Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo and /Media/Home_Videos_Photos/Carlo2, I'm interested only in the content inside Carlo and Carlo2. But I guess you got the point already 😊

Hope you find a solution and looking forward. I was not successful on my end.

RkcCorian

@GrimReaperIs it possible to rename this feature request to "Option to skip the top / first folder level"? This would better explain what I really need and I think it will make it much easier as only limited to the top / first folder level. For any other level I like the behaviour as it is.

Many thanks!

Edited by RkcCorian

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, RkcCorian said:

Is it possible to rename this feature request to "Option to skip the top / first folder level"?

*Done*

• Thanks 2