No basic documentation

rorbit

Why is there no basic documentation on DNLA and Apps like Roku, Chromecast etc. ... how do you install, what can they do and how to use them?

I just bought the Windows 8.1 Store App, it had no instructions at all. Just lucky it worked.

It seems you guy's are racing way a head for the latest and greatest while ignoring the basics, which is tell people how to use this stuff first.

You will not get many new users if they have to search the forms for such basic questions. If that is what you want (just geeks with plenty of time on there hands) then stay the course.

techywarrior

What sort of documentation are you looking for? The server installation has instructions to help you along and the web client now has a "welcome/how to" that is displayed the first time a user goes to the web client and dashboard.

Most of the apps, Win 8, WinPhone, Roku, etc. don't really have instructions because you simply install them, enter the IP of the server (on a local network they will all auto detect the server) and that's it.

There are also How To guides on the forum here if more direction is required. If you don't think they are sufficient please help improve them. All the guides here are written and created by users for the benefit of other users.

All of our documentation is community-driven as we are a small group of people.  However, the reality is that no one ever reads documentation so we have taken the approach of trying to make every app as simple an intuitive as possible to install and get going.  I think you experienced that with the app you installed.  Also, as you noted, things are moving so fast that it would be almost impossible to keep intricate documentation up to date.

What you specifically asked about, however, is DLNA which is an industry "standard" (quoted because it is a really bad standard that is implemented differently by a lot of devices) so that isn't really something we can document too well anyway.

• 1 year later...
rogerwilker

so how do I know how to use Premiere?:

I purchased an annual membership, don't know if installed or not.  It was purchased with a different email address than the one I used to setup the emby server.  Now what?

Help.

so how do I know how to use Premiere?:

I purchased an annual membership, don't know if installed or not.  It was purchased with a different email address than the one I used to setup the emby server.  Now what?

Help.

Hi there,

welcome, thank you for supporting us. happy2play was trying to help you in the other thread. did you see his quesstion?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28626-premiere-documentation

Did you enter your premiere key into the server dashboard under Help -> Emby Premiere? You should have gotten an email confirmation with instructions on how to do this. Also, after completing the purchase, it redirects you to a thank you screen with on-screen instructions. We also have an FAQ on Emby Premiere that you can check out here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27502-premiere-faq-please-read-before-posting/

Let us know if you need any additional assistance. Thanks.