Unable 2 edit Music

SamTzu

SamTzu

If I rename some music files or folders nothing will change in Emby. (Even with real time monitoring enabled.)
(Perfectly organized info artist\album folders, with tracks direclty in the album folders.)
I have to remove the whole "Music" from the Emby "Library" and add it again before changes are shown.

Edited by SamTzu

SamTzu

Bruce Springsteen\Goat of Tom Joad :)
I noticed a that was wrong and changed it to "Ghost of Tom Joad" but nothing changed in Emby/Music.
I can't seem to make any changes to my Music in Emby.

Edited by SamTzu

Happy2Play

What exactly did you change as folder and filenames are somewhat irrelevant for Music.  Did you change the track tags?

Did you change the embedded metadata within your audio files, or did you just rename files and folders?

SamTzu

I usually try to keep the filenames as accurate as possible. I would remove ALL embedded metadata if I could find a way to do it easily. Fortunately in Movies Emby handles that very well. In music handling I have noticed "many" problems.
For instance I just noticed this:
(PS. I don't have Windoze nor do I have C drive.)

Screenshot from 2023-03-12 14-08-39.png

Edited by SamTzu

13 hours ago, SamTzu said:

I usually try to keep the filenames as accurate as possible. I would remove ALL embedded metadata if I could find a way to do it easily. Fortunately in Movies Emby handles that very well. In music handling I have noticed "many" problems.

Have you checked the embedded metadata within your audio file?

• Agree 1

Junglejim

Emby does not have a built in tag editor for music files. That has to be done manually. Depending on what OS you run.. "mp3tag" seems to be the go for Windows, I run Linux so I use "Kid3".

Junglejim
19 hours ago, SamTzu said:

You don't what to remove ALL the embedded tag info, that's what Emby uses for artist/album name/track number/track name/year etc.. You can remove all lot of junk tags though.

With that basic embedded tag info Emby will then use plugins to search for fanart/logos/artist images/bios.. etc.

I usually embed the album art (cover) to all the tracks in a album so it looks cool with with other apps.

SamTzu

So if I created the mp3/ape/whatEver music files ages ago with my Windows that I got rid of years ago - I have to redo ALL the work now?
That seems really lame!
Can we get rid of the meta slavery? We don't use it with Movies/TV (nor do we need it) so why should we use it with Music?

Edited by SamTzu
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, SamTzu said:

So if I created the mp3/ape/whatEver music files ages ago with my Windows that I got rid of years ago - I have to redo ALL the work now?
That seems really lame!
Can we get rid of the meta slavery? We don't use it with Movies/TV (nor do we need it) so why should we use it with Music?

Music files are tag driven. You'll find that with just about any music software. But adding options to use file names instead is certainly possible.

• Agree 1

Jägs

Do yourself a solid and run your music through Picard.  It'll make searching your music so much easier, irrespective of what player you are using.  If you are solely using file names and Picard can't find it, you can use something like Kid3—or a myriad of other ID3 tag editors—to populate the proper meta information (ID3) in your music files. 

Happy2Play

Emby only uses path as a last resort for Music.  We need to know the embedded tags.

What does a tagging program show but preferably what does ffprobe show as that is what Emby uses to read them.

ffprobe -i "path\to\file.ext"

• 2 weeks later...
SamTzu

@Happy2Play

Input #0, mp3, from '/mnt/nas/volume1/Music/Bruce Springsteen/1995 The Ghost of Tom Joad/01 The Ghost of Tom Joad.mp3':
  Metadata:
    artist          : Bruce Springsteen
    title           : The Gost of Tom Joad
    album           : The Gost of Tom Joad

SamTzu

MetaData slavery was invented looonggg ago in a galaxy faaarrr away.
Now days we actually have multiple internet DataBases that provide better ways doing things.
Emby fetches (brilliantly) Movie and TV data... but not Music data.
I for one would like to see the same functionality also with Emby music.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, SamTzu said:

@Happy2Play

Input #0, mp3, from '/mnt/nas/volume1/Music/Bruce Springsteen/1995 The Ghost of Tom Joad/01 The Ghost of Tom Joad.mp3':
  Metadata:
    artist          : Bruce Springsteen
    title           : The Gost of Tom Joad
    album           : The Gost of Tom Joad

So that’s where the server is getting those values from.