Emby for android cpu usage and transcoding

flippyfingw

flippyfingw

I have noticed my phone heating up when playing back some hevc files on emby. Checked with `top` over adb and emby seems to be using 100%+ when playing back those 1080p hevc files. This is on Galaxy S23, android 13, but I have noticed similar behaviour on my Galaxy Tab S6 and OnePlus 5.

When playing h264 or well bahaving h265 files, CPU usage typically hovers around 20%. This leads me to believe the other set of hevc files are using a profile that is not supported by the hardware decoder and software decoder is being used instead. The problem goes away when I force transcode by reducing bandwidth limit in playback settings.

Can we please get a force transcode button in the player, which does not reduce the quality and instead just transcodes the file? My server is powerful enough to transcode such misbehaving files and I'd rather my server sip a bit more power to transcode, instead of doing software decode on my phone.

Attached top screenshots

screenshot_2023-03-01_at_2.18.24_am.png

screenshot_2023-03-01_at_2.17.43_am.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes this has come up before and more options to control this are certainly possible.

flippyfingw

Thanks for replying. Can such a setting be developed for the clients to use transcode without degrading quality? Thanks