PlutoTV - Guide Data/Streams Populate but freeze after a few secs/mins

Oracle

Hi, team.

I have Pluto TV running as a IPTV source in Emby, and everything seems to be working ok! Other than the fact that when streaming a channel, it will freeze after about a minute.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Guest CodeCat5

I've tried to get Pluto working several times but never had any luck. From what I understand, it changes video formats too often or something like that and Emby isn't able to handle the transitions. Not sure if it would work any better, but it might be worth trying something like Tivi Mate.

Ideally, I'd like to house all of my streaming/media in one location (easy access for the family), so using an alternative app is out of my cards, unfortunately.

Perhaps another free IPTV service would be better? What are others?

Guest CodeCat5
22 hours ago, MBSki said:

How are you all adding Pluto to IPTV? Could you also add the roku channel?

For Pluto, the only way I'm aware of is through some unofficial m3u and xmltv files that don't seem to play well with Emby. I'm not aware of anything similar or otherwise for the Roku channel.

MBSki
29 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

For Pluto, the only way I'm aware of is through some unofficial m3u and xmltv files that don't seem to play well with Emby. I'm not aware of anything similar or otherwise for the Roku channel.

Ah, gotcha, thanks!

• 1 year later...
DonBot

The problem with PLUTO TV is the commercial blocks. As soon as the advertising starts, the channel freezes. A solution might be to access the Plutostream itself in the server and integrate it as m3u. So no playlist from Pluto directly but from your own server.

AKSkinz

If you setup a Pluto TV docker then feed that into Channels DVR then use that to feed Emby then the freezes only show up on a couple of channels (like the Car Chase channel currently). This also work with STIRR docker too. I used to just feed that directly into Emby and it was a pain to go through to enable only the channels I wanted. But now I use IPTVBoss to grab only the channels I want from Channels DVR/Pluto TV source and output a custom m3u and xml file for Emby to use. Since setting it up like this I have been pretty stable and I don't need to touch the channels in Emby as IPTVBoss does everything for me. Big shout out to @BillOatmanfor pointing out IPTVBoss.

Also, this is setup with Channels DVR and Emby on the main machine and the dockers for Pluto and Stirr on a SFF PC. I will be moving the docker to the main machine in the future as I had everything setup on a single box previously which ran fine it was just getting very old.

Edited by AKSkinz
  • Agree 1

daldana

If you're using Channels DVR, you can set up a "Custom Channel" for Pluto TV (look up Pluto for Channels for instructions). Then, within Channels DVR, you can manage the lineup and choose favorite channels after which you can create an m3u tuner in Emby like this; http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts&filter=favorites. A Docker and IPTVBoss are not necessarily required.

• Agree 1

kanipek

Using Channels DVR is the only method I know as well. Been doing this for quite some time. Works pretty flawlessly. There is an additional cost ($8 Month or $80 Year).

I believe the issue with using the various M3U files from the internet and putting those directly into Emby is the streams are HLS which currently Emby doesn't handle very well with the various resolution changes that occur with the commercials.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2024 at 7:33 PM, kanipek said:

Using Channels DVR is the only method I know as well. Been doing this for quite some time. Works pretty flawlessly. There is an additional cost ($8 Month or $80 Year).

I believe the issue with using the various M3U files from the internet and putting those directly into Emby is the streams are HLS which currently Emby doesn't handle very well with the various resolution changes that occur with the commercials.

I am new to all of this and still trying to understand it. So it's the format that is streamed that is incompatible? Is there away to make emby compatible with the stream?

2 hours ago, n0tanks87 said:

I am new to all of this and still trying to understand it. So it's the format that is streamed that is incompatible? Is there away to make emby compatible with the stream?

Hi, we’ll help you in your other topic. Thanks.