vlc not working anymore as external player

mrks.js

Hi

I have been running emby on my synology with emby client on my chromecast / google tv with VLC as external player for months/years without major issues.

since two days, the external player seems to be "lost"? whenever i select a title from emby client i get the attached half-translated error message. 

synology
dsm: 7.1 latest
emby server: 4.7.11.0

chromecast client
emby client: 2.0.87g
vlc: 3.5.4

PXL_20230227_132052763.MP.jpg

Hi. Did VLC update?  That message means that no installed application says it can handle the stream we are sending.

I would try re-installing the external player and checking the Android app settings to be sure you didn't disable it being able to open streams sent to it.

Hi Guys, @luke: tried, issue still exists.

@ebr: it is very possible that vlc did update. i will check again if i can install a previous version of vlc. it is very odd.

mrks.js

after reinstalling vlc i cannot undo the updates, so i am stuck with the version mentioned above. unfortunately the error still exists. i have enabled debug information but when starting content and trying to make vlc play it, i have no option to send a log. time utc was ~ 09:35:04 user was 

Spoiler

hamsterkiste

4 hours ago, mrks.js said:

but when starting content and trying to make vlc play it, i have no option to send a log

Hi.  The send log option is in your user menu (click user at top of home screen).  Do that right after you get the above message.  But, again, the issue here is going to be that nothing in the system is saying that it can play the url we are asking Android to play.

mrks.js

Hi Luke

with the non-beta app when i open a title with external player enabled, the app simply prompts a black screen for a second and then goes back to title details without any error message.

So the exact same thing is happening - just without the message from the app.  The app is asking the Android system to play a URI and nothing is saying it is capable of doing so.  I still think this is related to Android and/or the external player configuration but there is an outside chance that something about the URI is different and sending a log from the app would help determine that.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 5:13 AM, mrks.js said:

Hi Luke

with the non-beta app when i open a title with external player enabled, the app simply prompts a black screen for a second and then goes back to title details without any error message.

HI, what version number did you try? it seems to be working just fine in my testing. Thanks.