Theatre Scaling after TV turned off - please help

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hello EMBY

I just had to rebuild my media PC on Windows 11 running latest Theatre and Server connect directly to my Samsung 65" via HDMI

My problem is when I turn my TV off and then back on, my Theatre screen is way too large and I only see the top left of the app (I think it's scaling).

If I set my desktop scaling to 100% the problem seems to go away but then my desktop is way too small (really small icons / text on my 65")

I cant seem to find a setting for Theater to scale the same as my desktop as ideally I'd like my desktop at 200%

This never happened on my previous Windows 10 server

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

GrimReaper

That smells like a Win11 issue or possibly HDMI handshake issue. Are you using Theater Desktop or Theater Store? If you use the other one, how does it compare? Are you extending your desktop or duplicating it? If you change Aspect ratio between various modes on your TV, does it stay the same? 

Robnaeyaert
8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

That smells like a Win11 issue or possibly HDMI handshake issue. Are you using Theater Desktop or Theater Store? If you use the other one, how does it compare? Are you extending your desktop or duplicating it? If you change Aspect ratio between various modes on your TV, does it stay the same? 

OK - I'm using Theatre Desktop (I'm not sure what Theatre Store is?? - what is that)?

I agree it smells like a Win11 issue but this only happens in the Theater App (my desktop looks normal when I exit the app)

No I'm not extending the desktop of duplicating it.

Is there a setting in Theater that I can set as again if I set the scaling in Win11 to 100% it works find but then on my desktop I get tiny icons and text which looks weird on my large TV

Any ideas please?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

I'm not sure what Theatre Store is?? - what is that)?

Emby Theater app from Windows Store. 

Robnaeyaert
10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Emby Theater app from Windows Store. 

Nope I'm using the emby Theater App from the website (the same one I've always used).

Any ideas on how to get this sorted please?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

Nope I'm using the emby Theater App from the website

9 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

If you use the other one, how does it compare?

Robnaeyaert
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.  Out of interested is one version "better" than the other?

GrimReaper

They're are slight differences and capabilities, though they'll be unified at some point in the future. 

Robnaeyaert
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

They're are slight differences and capabilities, though they'll be unified at some point in the future. 

the biggest reason I use Theater is for the universal remote (Logitech Touch) to drive my media library.  I assume Theater Store supports this?

I just find having to have a mouse handy in my media room a little cumbersome

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

the biggest reason I use Theater is for the universal remote (Logitech Touch) to drive my media library.  I assume Theater Store supports this?

Not using remote so wouldn't know but I would assume that it does. Easy to check, anyway. 

Robnaeyaert
3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Not using remote so wouldn't know but I would assume that it does. Easy to check, anyway. 

Just tried installing Emby Store (from the MS Store) and it cant connect to my server that is on the same box.  I'm going backwards as all I want to do is fix this scaling issue.

I tried turning off all my firewall settings (Defender) and still didnt connect.

ARCH - any help please with Emby Store and also my scaling issue (which is all I want to fix) greatly appreciated 

GrimReaper

Thought by now server's taking care of loopback exceptions; anyway:

Install loopback exemption utility, tick Emby Theater. 

Or if you prefer doing it manually:

Edited by GrimReaper

Robnaeyaert
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

If it's caused by loopback, then after the initial failure to connect, try restarting the server.

Thanks guys and thanks Luke - but am I going down the wrong path here with Theatre Store with all this given all I'm trying to fix is a weird issue when I turn my TV off and then back on moments later, I get a super zoomed in screen?  My scaling on Win11 is set to 200% and this problem goes away if I scale it at 100% but then the problem that causes is my Win11 icons and text is so small on my 65" screen.

Thoughts please?

1 hour ago, Robnaeyaert said:

Thanks guys and thanks Luke - but am I going down the wrong path here with Theatre Store with all this given all I'm trying to fix is a weird issue when I turn my TV off and then back on moments later, I get a super zoomed in screen?  My scaling on Win11 is set to 200% and this problem goes away if I scale it at 100% but then the problem that causes is my Win11 icons and text is so small on my 65" screen.

Thoughts please?

I'm not sure that we can resolve it in the current app, but we are working on a new windows app that shouldn't have this issue, so stay tuned for that.

Robnaeyaert
17 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm not sure that we can resolve it in the current app, but we are working on a new windows app that shouldn't have this issue, so stay tuned for that.

Sweet I'm excited.  Is this a new Windows app like Theatre?  Any chance getting on a beta test group?  I love the app and have been such a fan since Media Browser days (funny I had to find my premium key after rebuilding my service and it was old).  Any thoughts on timing?

On 2/28/2023 at 3:50 PM, Robnaeyaert said:

Sweet I'm excited.  Is this a new Windows app like Theatre?  Any chance getting on a beta test group?  I love the app and have been such a fan since Media Browser days (funny I had to find my premium key after rebuilding my service and it was old).  Any thoughts on timing?

I don't have an ETA but stay tuned to the community. We'll have something here to try out as soon as we can. Thanks.