Video randomly dropping but audio keeps playing

Gronda

I've been encountering an odd recurrent issue with the MacOS version of the app. This occurs with both the version from the App store and the download from the Emby website.

Issue: I play a video file and the video randomly crashes whilst the audio keeps playing. It's almost as if there's been a brief hiccup in the stream and it's lost the video but not the audio. It can happen a few seconds into watching something or part way through. I have no issues playing the same video files from the same server using the Emby app on my AppleTV, iPad, iPhone, or Win11 PC. I can play it fine in the web browser on my Mac. It's just the Emby MacOS app.

I can't reproduce it reliably, sometimes a video will play its entire length without issue. Other times I'll have it drop out like this once or three or four times. I can't identify any rhyme or reason to it. When I switch back to the Home screen I can resume playing the episode as it usually shows the progress bar and picks up a few seconds before the video had dropped.

Emby server version: 4.7.11.0

MacOS app version: 2.2.5 (I had the same problems on previous versions)

Most recent log file with this enclosed. I started playing the US version of Ghosts, S1E17 at 1909. The video dropped out at 1910

embyserver.txt

• 1 month later...
Gronda

I've been doing some more testing and digging around on this and I think it's a problem in MacOS rather than the Emby app. The same issues have been occurring for me in the AppleTV app recently and after running some searches I ended up changing the monitor refresh rate from 60 hertz to 50 hertz (based on this MacRumors forum thread). I've now had no issues with video playback in the Emby app (or Apple TV app) for the last 3 days. It's odd that the same issue has never affected browser-based playback or VLC, and as the issue was intermittent I can't say with 100% certainty that it's fixed. But I think this is problem solved.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Gronda said:

I've been doing some more testing and digging around on this and I think it's a problem in MacOS rather than the Emby app. The same issues have been occurring for me in the AppleTV app recently and after running some searches I ended up changing the monitor refresh rate from 60 hertz to 50 hertz (based on this MacRumors forum thread). I've now had no issues with video playback in the Emby app (or Apple TV app) for the last 3 days. It's odd that the same issue has never affected browser-based playback or VLC, and as the issue was intermittent I can't say with 100% certainty that it's fixed. But I think this is problem solved.

Do you still think that?

Gronda

Oddly enough, the problem has reappeared over this last weekend and today occurred 6-7 times in the space of an hour. I’ve tried changing the screen refresh frequency back and forth between 50hz and 60hz but that now seems to have no effect. 

• 1 month later...