Sidebar flyout

GrimReaper

GrimReaper

*Applicable to Emby Theater(s) as well*

Following below discussion:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/116382-fehlerhafte-anzeige-beim-scrollen-durch-serien/&do=findComment&comment=1227137

Could we get mainDrawer-mini to automatically expand/flyout on hover and retract subsequently? It would alleviate issues as encountered, and tbh there are several unnecessary (and some unintuitive) clicks required in current implementation and behaviour:

- Sidebar pinned in mini-mode

- Hover over sidebar mid-screen height: no reaction

- (Unwanted) Move mouse top-left and click Expand

- Sidebar in Expanded mode

- Click Home or any Library > navigates to desired page 

- (Unwanted) Sidebar remains expanded

- (Unintuitive/Unwanted) Point of confusion: Clicking Collapse (the only available button) doesn't collapse it but hides it altogether; clicking anywhere on screen except on Collapse actually collapses it 

- Sidebar back to mini-mode

Flyout on hover and auto-collapse when out of focus would be much more elegant solution, reduce user input, avoid confusion and increase usability. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Like 2

there are several unnecessary (and some unintuitive) clicks required in current implementation and behaviour:

It's because you're allowed to choose from three different states, so there needs to be a way to cycle between them. It might be easier to just have two.

GrimReaper

Personally wouldn't mind having only two states, as I can hardly imagine anyone having it fully expanded at all times - but my imagination is likely limited and I'm sure someone would eventually complain. Though, IMHO, if two-states only would be implemented, I reckon mini-mode auto-expandable/collapsible would appeal to a broader audience. 

Edited by GrimReaper

If it's only two then I think it's the mini version that would be dropped to be honest. 

Maybe instead of a three way cycle toggle, when you click the collapse icon you'll just get a dropdown selection to pick the mode you want. It's an extra click, but at least will be explicit and won't cause any confusion.

GrimReaper
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

If it's only two then I think it's the mini version that would be dropped to be honest.

IMHO that's suboptimal solution, being forced to have it expanded at all times. If so, better leave it as it is, so user at least has some choice. I, for one, wouldn't be willing to give up on that screen estate.

39 minutes ago, Luke said:

Maybe instead of a three way cycle toggle, when you click the collapse icon you'll just get a dropdown selection to pick the mode you want. It's an extra click, but at least will be explicit and won't cause any confusion.

Might work, though as you, said doesn't spare on clicks but at least it's explicit. It appears there's no happy-for-all solution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1