Emby Theatre Pi 4 Immediate Boot Issue

JuiceBoxDrinker

JuiceBoxDrinker

The image I downloaded from the website boots into an orange screen with a black box.

A mouse is present and can resize the black box but that's about it.

I have tried multiple SD cards and displays, as well an entirely different pi.

Used pi imager as well rufus - in both the 64 and 32 bit images.

I really hope this isn't normal, haven't put in the work to go through logs or look through GitHub as I think an image supplied from the official website should just work.

My next step is to build from linux repositories, which obviously isn't as ideal

alucryd

I can't reproduce here using rpi-imager. Are you customizing anything when flashing?

One thing that comes to mind, could you run the following from a recent raspberry pi os?

sudo rpi-eeprom-update

This will tell you if your EEPROM needs an update, you can apply the update (if any) by passing `-a` to the same command.

• Thanks 1

alucryd

Also, have you tried rebooting the pi multiple times? At some point it was freezing on the emby logo here, and rebooting was enough to get it sorted out. Haven't run into this issue in a while though.

JuiceBoxDrinker

@Luke

Sorry for the delay got very busy. @alucrydthat worked.

Yes exactly as @TenderBabyMeathad said.

And yes big thanks to alucryd as that worked almost perfectly.

Originally I hadn't realised my pi's firmware wasn't up to date as the scripts run automatically but they couldnt access the wider network.

But as well with my limited knowledge and understanding I updated the pi firmware on a separate sd card default pi lite 32bit (not emby sd card) .

And then tried the emby image to no success. 

Checked the firmware under that sd card and it showed the current as the lastest 2023 build, but under its desired latest it showed the 2022 build.

Did the whole sudo update and upgrade then ran the firmware upgrade again and it has now booted perfectly.

Thanks alot @alucryd

For anyone else experiencing this:

On the emby image (orange screen black box)

Press crtl + alt + f1 to get to the terminal 

Sudo apt update and then the upgrade commands

then run    sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -a

and reboot.

• Thanks 2

JuiceBoxDrinker

@Luke

No problem at all

Thinking back its worth noting that its more likely the update and upgrade that resolved the issue. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
stratumorien

I tried @JuiceBoxDrinkersuggested solution and still get the black box on orange background, any idea what I could be missing? 

Thanks,

Brian

JuiceBoxDrinker

@stratumorien

Have you checked the eeprom version is current ?

I didn't list the command on that, I think that it might be the below:

sudo rpi-eeprom-update

Maybe confirm that the current and latest are the same, and list then in case its registry is outdated check online for the desired version type (in case of network connectivity issues.)

Little rushed in this reply but I will think on this more.

• 3 months later...
yaksplat
On 5/12/2023 at 6:08 PM, stratumorien said:

I tried @JuiceBoxDrinkersuggested solution and still get the black box on orange background, any idea what I could be missing? 

Thanks,

Brian

I ran into the same issue and was stuck on the orange/black screen.  Hopefully this works for you too.

startx

This starts emby theater up.  After the initial time, it starts up fine from boot.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
chstoll
On 3/19/2023 at 2:05 AM, JuiceBoxDrinker said:

@Luke

Sorry for the delay got very busy. @alucrydthat worked.

Yes exactly as @TenderBabyMeathad said.

And yes big thanks to alucryd as that worked almost perfectly.

Originally I hadn't realised my pi's firmware wasn't up to date as the scripts run automatically but they couldnt access the wider network.

But as well with my limited knowledge and understanding I updated the pi firmware on a separate sd card default pi lite 32bit (not emby sd card) .

And then tried the emby image to no success. 

Checked the firmware under that sd card and it showed the current as the lastest 2023 build, but under its desired latest it showed the 2022 build.

Did the whole sudo update and upgrade then ran the firmware upgrade again and it has now booted perfectly.

Thanks alot @alucryd

For anyone else experiencing this:

On the emby image (orange screen black box)

Sudo apt update and then the upgrade commands

then run    sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -a

and reboot.

Hi, I'm facing the same issue, I tried your commands, but sudo wants a password. I couldn't find the password for sudo on the emby image, where can I find it?

alucryd

I believe the default password in RPi OS is `raspberry`. Unless you customized it in RPi Imager.