Intel UHD Graphics 770 vs EVGA Geforce RTX 2060 super with Transcoding

ng4ever

ng4ever

Is the Intel UHD Graphics 770 really a lot better for transcoding ?

If not is it at least faster ?

I know someone already told me to use the Intel UHD Graphics 770 instead but wanted to make sure of this.

Stupid question but if I used the Intel UHD Graphics 770 instead, would I be able to use the EVGA Geforce RTX 2060 super at the same time while gaming without any issues ? I doubt that will ever happen sense the Emby server on my pc is only for me.

Edited by ng4ever

GrimReaper
6 hours ago, ng4ever said:

Is the Intel UHD Graphics 770 really a lot better for transcoding ?

UHD 770 is an awesome iGPU - even Intel's current top-of-the-line CPU i9-13900KS has it - and with it you really don't need a discreet GPU. That said, both of those (UHD 770 and RTX2060 Super) can take way more than an average consumer could ever need, so you have a lot of headroom there, I reckon the only difference would be visible on your electricity bill. 

If not is it at least faster ?

As said above, that 'faster' is completely illusory in this context. 

if I used the Intel UHD Graphics 770 instead, would I be able to use the EVGA Geforce RTX 2060 super at the same time while gaming without any issues ?

There should be no issues with that. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

austinchief

I am planning to refresh my server hardware and have been eyeing the i9-13900K for the processor.   I've also planned on adding a RTX3060 graphics card.    Based on what was stated here, is the graphics card overkill?    I don't game, and only need the graphics card for multiple-head display, however, I have been plagued with poor server performance due to simultaneously streams transcoding.    In my present setup, if more than 2 streams are transcoding (doesn't matter whether it is 4k or 1080p), adding a 3rd 4K stream will cause playback issues (1080p will play fine, typically).

So, my goal is to build a system that can transcode at least five (5) 4K-streams simultaneously ... preferably 10!

Here is my planned setup, but obviously not looking to over-spend:

CPU:   Intel i9-13900K (24 Core)

GPU: GeForce RTX3060

RAM: 2x32GB DDR4-3600 (PC4 28800)

MB:  MSI Pro Z90-A DDR4

Questions:

1) I have also considered the Intel i7-13700K (16 Core) saves $160, or the i5-13600K (14 Core) saves $300.    Is the i9-13900K worth it over the i7 or i5?

2) DDR5 memory is still very expensive, so I'm going with DDR4 at this time ... saves $60 on motherboard and $120 on RAM sticks

3) Is there a way to utilize the UHD770 to drive dual 4K monitors?    And if so, will that degrade the GPU's transcoding capability?

4) I chose the RTX3060 as it seems that GPU is at the knee of the price curve.   The 3060 is ~$60 more than 3050, while the 3070 is about $140 more than 3060 and 3080 is about $300 more than the 3060.   We won't even talk about the 3090 being $1000 more than the 3060.    Is the 3060 worth adding to my system up front?    Or should I wait and see how the on-board UHD-770 works with the CPU?

Based on this post, I'm leaning towards NOT adding a graphics card if I can get a dual-head working with the UHD-770.

Thanks in advance for responses!

GrimReaper
59 minutes ago, austinchief said:

Based on what was stated here, is the graphics card overkill?

It is. 

Here is my planned setup, but obviously not looking to over-spend:

CPU:   Intel i9-13900K (24 Core)

GPU: GeForce RTX3060

RAM: 2x32GB DDR4-3600 (PC4 28800)

MB:  MSI Pro Z90-A DDR4

That's a great setup - and an overkill too. 

my goal is to build a system that can transcode at least five (5) 4K-streams simultaneously ... preferably 10!

You'll easily get those 5 and likely 10 (or very close to). 

1) I have also considered the Intel i7-13700K (16 Core) saves $160, or the i5-13600K (14 Core) saves $300.    Is the i9-13900K worth it over the i7 or i5?

IMHO not worth it, you're getting same iGPU and either of those CPU is a powerhorse by itself. 

2) DDR5 memory is still very expensive, so I'm going with DDR4 at this time ... saves $60 on motherboard and $120 on

Way to go. 

3) Is there a way to utilize the UHD770 to drive dual 4K monitors?    And if so, will that degrade the GPU's transcoding capability?

Depending on your motherboard, maybe if it has Thunderbolt or USB-C DP (DisplayPort). 

4) I chose the RTX3060 as it seems that GPU is at the knee of the price curve.   The 3060 is ~$60 more than 3050, while the 3070 is about $140 more than 3060 and 3080 is about $300 more than the 3060.   We won't even talk about the 3090 being $1000 more than the 3060.    Is the 3060 worth adding to my system up front?    Or should I wait and see how the on-board UHD-770 works with the CPU?

You should. 

Based on this post, I'm leaning towards NOT adding a graphics card if I can get a dual-head working with the UHD-770

Rightly so. 

Edit: @austinchief your specified motherboard (also an overkill - man, you do not spare any funds, eh 😉) already has 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort ports - so dual displays are a go. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z690-A-WIFI-DDR4/Specification

ONBOARD GRAPHICS

• 1x HDMI 2.1 with HDR port, supports a maximum resolution of 4K 60Hz 12
  • 1x DisplayPort 1.4 port, supports a maximum resolution of 4K 60Hz 12

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Thanks 1

RanmaCanada

13900k can do up to 18 4k transcodes if hard drive bandwidth is "unlimited".  You more than likely will run into a bottleneck with the hard drives in your array (possibly also your network) before you reach the limit of the quicksync capabilities in any Intel 12th or 13th gen processor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
shadowtek

I knew coming here for info would be the go. Some great minds here..

Im in a similar boat and looking at replace an old QNAP work horse lol.

Im think something like this to run Unraid and the *arr apps...

• Intel Core i7 12700k
  • Gigabyte Z690M AORUS ELITE DDR4
  • Kingston KF432C16BBK2/32 FURY
    Beast Black 32GB
  • Kingston 1TB SSD, NV2, M.2
  • 8 x WD Reds (6gb)
  • SilverStone CS330 Black Micro ATX case
  • Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Power
    Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze

I guess the question i have now after reading @GrimReaperressponses above,  considering im looking at filling this thing with drives is that power supply going to cut it?

Are there better option to look at?

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, shadowtek said:

8 x WD Reds (6gb)

I'd assume that's a typo and those are 6TB drives, and even so:

7 minutes ago, shadowtek said:

Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Power
Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze

8 minutes ago, shadowtek said:

considering im looking at filling this thing with drives is that power supply going to cut it?

should be more than adequate, even bronze-rated. 

RanmaCanada

your 750 watt will be fine.  HDD's idle at about 0.8 watts and have a spin up of about 20 watts, read write about 6 watts.  I have 16 drives in my array (E5-2670 CPU) and use a 750 watt Seasonic Platinum (power efficiency is a must) and my array uses maybe 100 watts when serving data.  You have plenty of overhead with your choice of power supply.

shadowtek

Awesome thanks 

I decided to change to a Seasonic - FOCUS GX-750 Gold

ant wait for the new rig lol

RanmaCanada

Yeah you don't need to worry about HDD size really until you start getting into stupid range for drives.  With 24+ drives you may get to the 12V limit of your PSU and at that point you could have them stagger at startup.