Emby theatre no playback

SLMK

Hi, can I get some feedback on a playback error I am having.

The issue is limited to Emby theatre desktop only, playback via browser or the store app works perfectly on the same machine. No one else has reported any issues with other clients, I have tried logging in with another account with no luck. I can connect to the server fine, when attempting playback the player UI loads but the video never starts. All settings at default, no passthrough etc. I have reinstalled both Emby and the entire OS on this machine.

MPV log attached, I can see the stream is failing but I am unsure what this indicates is the cause.

Thanks.

Edited by SLMK

generiq

First, I would suggest using video output gpu-next.

But from the log:

[url="https://xxxxx.xxx:443/emby/videos/429766/master.m3u8?DeviceId=DESKTOP-6B0FC6O&MediaSourceId=3afb2d8b1b2c0210160f13cb588dcbb0&StartTimeTicks=4199993321&PlaySessionId=ed17ef0e69d648338ace6dceb3bc9959&api_key=6dcd6a05eee54045bf069110ddc55f08&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg2video,hevc&AudioCodec=ac3,mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=5812000&AudioBitrate=768000&AudioStreamIndex=1&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&SegmentContainer=ts&SegmentLength=3&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit", flags="replace", options=""]

That is a strange thing to see in an mpv log 

The server is transcoding. I would look at the reasons why. Do you have the bandwidth options lowered? Are you having network congestion? ...

Edited by Happy2Play
removed external address

22 hours ago, generiq said:

First, I would suggest using video output gpu-next.

The server is transcoding. I would look at the reasons why. Do you have the bandwidth options lowered? Are you having network congestion? ...

Hi, tried all the video output modes, tried turning off hardware acceleration, made no difference.

And no, the network I was testing on has around 200mbps using ethernet, the network the machine was on when the problems first apeared is around 950mbps, on wifi, the servers upload bandwidth is 450mbps.

The machine having the issue was a 10th gen i5 NUC, it has been replaced with a 12th gen i5 NUC now, no change.

Happy2Play

There is a bitrate limit somewhere could be that the client is set to Auto and using a fallback bitrate on the remote connection.

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Server and ffmpeg log could show more but mpvlog shows

[   0.023][d][ffmpeg] tcp: Starting connection attempt to xxx.xx.xx.xxx port 443
[   0.080][d][ffmpeg] tcp: Successfully connected to xxx.xx.xx.xxx port 443
[   0.198][w][ffmpeg] https: HTTP error 503 Service Unavailable
[   0.200][e][stream] Failed to open 

[   0.202][v][ytdl_hook] youtube-dl with path youtube-dl.exe not found in PATH or not enough permissions 

[   0.202][e][ytdl_hook] youtube-dl failed: not found or not enough permissions 

May want to sanitize your log also.

Edited by Happy2Play

generiq

The YouTube references are irrelevant. That's referring to yt-dlp.exe and /or youtube-dl.exe and the script that's looking for it. That entry will always be present for Theater logs, as the executable doesn't exist and isn't utilized.

The 503 error is what needs to be resolved with the server.

Edited by generiq

1 hour ago, generiq said:

The 503 error is what needs to be resolved with the server.

I assume this is going to have been caused by my recent reissuing of my SSL cert, although all other clients work just fine, this issue is specifically limited to the desktop client so it is a little unusual.

Happy2Play
40 minutes ago, SLMK said:

I assume this is going to have been caused by my recent reissuing of my SSL cert, although all other clients work just fine, this issue is specifically limited to the desktop client so it is a little unusual.

Not knowing your setup but did you update your cert in Emby?

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Not knowing your setup but did you update your cert in Emby?

Reverse proxy in pfsense. Also zero issues with SSL through web/android/windows store etc.

Happy2Play

True we can only guess the server/ffmpeg log will show the same thing.

generiq
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

True we can only guess the server/ffmpeg log will show the same thing.

What is in the mpv log is coming from the server. He just needs to attach the corresponding server log

generiq
4 hours ago, SLMK said:

Reverse proxy in pfsense. Also zero issues with SSL through web/android/windows store etc.

You can also check your pfsense logs, and see if you can find the corresponding entry. That might give you some answers.

generiq

I'm assuming the server is attempting to stream the video because direct access isn't possible. If that is the case, pfsense might be blocking it.

OK, im fairly certain it must be an issue with the ssl cert, although I have no idea why it is only affecting the desktop version of theatre. I will look into redoing the cert when I have the time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 6:37 PM, SLMK said:

OK, im fairly certain it must be an issue with the ssl cert, although I have no idea why it is only affecting the desktop version of theatre. I will look into redoing the cert when I have the time.

@SLMK let us know how you get on. Thanks.