Need a new Windows server-Build or Purchase

lja

I need some help as I must replace my present  Windows server. Looking for recommendations for building or purchasing a Windows computer (prefer) for the purpose. What would be the requirements for puchased computer? Thanks for any help.

Been a while since I did a build but at the time Ryzen was the way to go. Not sure if intel has caught  up yet or not. I'd recommend a Ryzen 5800 series with a current GPU from nVidia if you plan on doing any transcoding or multi streams. Use an m.2 SSD of 1gB or larger for your boot drive then spinners for data storage. Get matching RAM for your MoBo.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Been a while since I did a build but at the time Ryzen was the way to go. Not sure if intel has caught  up yet or not. I'd recommend a Ryzen 5800 series with a current GPU from nVidia if you plan on doing any transcoding or multi streams. Use an m.2 SSD of 1gB or larger for your boot drive then spinners for data storage. Get matching RAM for your MoBo.

Thanks will check out.

rbjtech
23 hours ago, Sammy said:

Way behind the times I'm afraid...

Intel Gen 13 are not only faster now, but with the iGPU (Quick Sync Video), there is no need for any GPU either.

An Intel 13100 or 13500, 16Gb Memory (+) and a NVME drive will be all you need for a long time ...  

ps - do NOT get the 'F' variants - they do not have the iGPU.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Way behind the times I'm afraid...

Intel Gen 13 are not only faster now, but with the iGPU (Quick Sync Video), there is no need for any GPU either.

An Intel 13100 or 13500, 16Gb Memory (+) and a NVME drive will be all you need for a long time ...  

ps - do NOT get the 'F' variants - they do not have the iGPU.

Like I said, 'Been a while'..

Since I'm not doing a build I'm behind the times.

That said, how many streams can be simultaneously transcoded?

RanmaCanada
8 hours ago, Sammy said:

Like I said, 'Been a while'..

Since I'm not doing a build I'm behind the times.

That said, how many streams can be simultaneously transcoded?

On current Alder Lake, 18 4k trancodes.  

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
7 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

On current Alder Lake, 18 4k trancodes.  

He has matured a lot - and everything he says during the video has become a reality and I came to the same conclusion soon after Alder Lakes came out with my 2022 build.  Gone are my multi resolution versions and my 12700/UHD770 simply transcodes as required because it's no longer an issue or even seen as an overhead.  It also coincides with most of my family now having 4K HDR screens, so the need to transcode is less anyway. 

I think '18' is a bit misleading though - as that's streaming from an NVME drive - and it's still unrealistic to be doing this - physical HDD for mass storage is not going away in the next ~5 years.   I managed to get ~10 or so full 4k remux transcodes with TM - from SATA3 drives (JBOD) - limit was probably the controller or SATA3 bandwidth as the CPU / iGPU was not bottlenecked.

My only planned upgrade is to 14th Gen or ARC dGPU if AV1 takes off and delivers the promised 50% storage savings.

Edited by rbjtech

RanmaCanada
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

He has matured a lot - and everything he says during the video has become a reality and I came to the same conclusion soon after Alder Lakes came out with my 2022 build.  Gone are my multi resolution versions and my 12700/UHD770 simply transcodes as required because it's no longer an issue or even seen as an overhead.  It also coincides with most of my family now having 4K HDR screens, so the need to transcode is less anyway. 

I think '18' is a bit misleading though - as that's streaming from an NVME drive - and it's still unrealistic to be doing this - physical HDD for mass storage is not going away in the next ~5 years.   I managed to get ~10 or so full 4k remux transcodes with TM - from SATA3 drives (JBOD) - limit was probably the controller or SATA3 bandwidth as the CPU / iGPU was not bottlenecked.

My only planned upgrade is to 14th Gen or ARC dGPU if AV1 takes off and delivers the promised 50% storage savings.

Time to upgrade to the new HAMMR drives with dual accuators haha.  But yes, it's currently not realistic as the bandwidth of your server's drives is still a serious issue.  Quicksync is fanstastic and those of us who abuse it need to educate more people haha.

RanmaCanada

what is your price range?  How expensive is power where you live? (maybe a laptop would do the job if it's expensive).  Do you run all the media storage on your box or is it on a NAS or DAS?