Aspect ratio – auto, cover, & fill not working with some video files

mitch2471

mitch2471

I’ve noticed that the aspect ratio option in emby theatre does not seem to work with some video files. Changing to the cover option or fill option has no effect on blueray remux files & on random tv shows I’ve downloaded. I would guess this is some sort of limitation relating to codecs settings.

Is this something others are experiencing or is it only me?

If it is something that is happening for other users as well is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
generiq

Make sure the video doesn't have padding (black bars). They will be part of the video, and will be expanded along with the image.

mitch2471
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please provide a specific example of where it's not working? Thanks !

I play a movie or TV shop episode & it has black bars top & bottom. I use aspect ratio button in theatre to choose the cover option & nothing changes

mitch2471

Normally if I choose the cover option, emby theater will zoom in so that the black bars top & bottom are no longer displayed. LIke I said the aspect ratio option never works on blueray remux's and some random tv shows.

Edited by GrimReaper
Trimmed

generiq

Blu-ray direct rips will have padding, if greater than 16:9. Most other videos will have them removed. When you watch the videos, the padding is added at render, so when you use those options, the padding is adjusted by the renderer. But with direct rips, the padding is part of the image and the renderer will include it when you use those options. So if you want them to disappear when playing a disc rip, it won't happen.

mitch2471

First of all, apologies for the mainly blank very long reply above. I was using a tablet & I was having trouble replying. For some reason that large blank gap was added.

That aside I’m still struggling to understand this. I know generiq is saying that padding is being added, which I don’t doubt but the thing is I can play a remux in MPC & use the zoom option to remove the black bars. I know a lot of people would consider that sacrilege but that’s just what I & a fair amount of people prefer.

This isn’t solely on remux’s. As an example the most recent season of Yellowstone had black bars top & bottom. There are quite a few TV series coming out now with black bars top & bottom. Some of these Emby Theatre can still remove the black bars with the aspect ratio option & others not.

If I fire up WMC I can still use one of the 4 different zoom options to help get the fit, I want. It works with everything I throw at it. That said I haven’t tried WMC with 4K remux’s as I am under the impression that WMC cannot handle 4K. It can zoom Yellowstone no problem. 

I believed that the aspect ratio option in Theatre was Emby’s version of WMC’s zoom options. It seems to work that way with the vast majority of media.

At the risk of seeming thick (wouldn't be the first time) If this is all working as it should can someone explain the difference between the WMC zoom options & Theatre’s aspect ratio options & why one works with everything & the other only certain types of media?

generiq

You can edit that post and remove the blank part.

Zooming is a different function to fill etc So you shouldn't compare those. The player used in Theater is mpv. It has a zoom function, if you want to try that. It's a simple text file that you create and edit.

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-video-zoom

Edited by generiq

mitch2471

Thanks for the help generiq. 

Having to edit a text file every time me or the family want to watch a show or film that has padding is not overly user friendly. 

I get what you saying about aspect ratio being different from zoom. But the thing is, theaters aspect ratio cover option operates in an identical fashion to a zoom function. 

If say you use WMC & choose one of the zoom options you loose detail of the left & right side & loose the majority of the black bars top & bottom.

If you use emby theaters aspect cover option, guess what you loose detail of the left & right & loose the majority of the black bars top & bottom.

The only difference is that emby theater will not do this with certain video files, the ones (from what you are saying) that have padding where as WMC, MPC & every other media player will. 

Is this a fault with theater or do I put a request in the feature request section for a zoom option to be added. That request may get ignored or shouted down because emby already has the aspect ratio cover option that does work identically to zoom..... unless you have padding?

Edited by mitch2471