Pc for Emby

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

Hi Guys.

Right, I have been using a mini pc for Emby (originally Plex) and now finding that its not up to the job as much as i would have hoped. I was using an AMD based TriKey Mini PC. It has served me well for the most part. It did at least handle HW encoding. But.. I would like an Intel based setup now that supports the superior Quick Sync.

So, criteria is really just a MINI pc that has storage space for 2 drives (NVMe/SSD) so I can have one for Emby, and the other for incremental backups, everything else is on a large nas.

Suggestions all welcomed.

I am currently having a look at the Chuwi Corebox 4th gen with an i3-1215U, 16GB RAM and 512gb storage myself.

Will probably pull the trigger once it's available for Europe again.

https://store.chuwi.com/products/corebox-4th

Perf/$ seems pretty good to me and should able to handle everything what Emby does, including a couple of 4K transcodes.

GreatFlashMan
1 hour ago, neik said:

I am currently having a look at the Chuwi Corebox 4th gen with an i3-1215U, 16GB RAM and 512gb storage myself.

Will probably pull the trigger once it's available for Europe again.

https://store.chuwi.com/products/corebox-4th

Perf/$ seems pretty good to me and should able to handle everything what Emby does, including a couple of 4K transcodes.

Looks nice.

I was looking through a lot, including the NUC boxes. My area of confusion is which gpu's support QS. Anyone know of a good list to cross reference for support and max transcoded?

Also had a look at the NUC boxes but the strongest NUC 11 Essential with N6005 (Jasper Lake CPU) is as a barebone at 220€ while the Chuwi is at 330€ incl. Ram and Storage and a lot more powerful.

GreatFlashMan

Well, i ordered one, though may cancel it.

Was considering building a pc for it instead. Though, all the i3-i9, and lakes and all that is a minefield to try and work out the best selection of components, and also keeping it all as quiet as possible.

I did like this case though.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-pan-slim-mini-itx-case-black-ca-04l-rt.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA9NGfBhBvEiwAq5vSy_Y27CiitrHMPPPUns-ZvJxA-ZGFNwWP9u-nM5JvQKkPYdoKRPqYRhoCGesQAvD_BwE

2023-02-21 17_53_22-CA04LRT_277754.avif ‎- Photos.png

Edited by GreatFlashMan

RanmaCanada

AMD is sadly inferior when it comes to media server usage.  An Intel box, with at least an i3 will be far better.  If you've read any of my threads in here you'll now I am a huge proponent of using laptops.  I have an i3-1115G4 that uses 3-5 watts of power, and can handle 20+ transcodes (at least 3-4 4k ones).  The great thing about a laptop is you already have a mouse and keyboard ready, and a monitor to boot.

GreatFlashMan

Yeah, Intel is the way to go. My current system is Ryzen based, and TBH - does a great job (though the limiting factor is 4 HW encodes)

But, I did order this to play with. I have keyboards (though tend to use Chrome Remote Desktop to do everything from my laptop) etc, and just want a unit to sit quietly and do it's thing.

https://store.minisforum.uk/collections/intel/products/pre-sale-minisforum-nad9

Eigeplackter

Question for me would be:

just a playback device, or might there be interest in using external videoprocessing software (madVR/svp).

GreatFlashMan
2 minutes ago, Eigeplackter said:

Question for me would be:

just a playback device, or might there be interest in using external videoprocessing software (madVR/svp).

It's just to run the server on, nothing else. I don't need too much as storage is handled by 2 large nas units (12 drive bays), and I only have a few friends and family who use it. My reason to update it is to go Intel, and also for a bit of future proofing (ie. 2.5g ethernet - the nas both use LAG already), plus, i want quiet and small.

GreatFlashMan
38 minutes ago, Eigeplackter said:

Okay.

How many users you‘ve got simultaneously?

5-6, and the current setup is fine with that, so this would be an improvement anyway.

• Agree 1