Apple TV - lots of files playing with no video

simonmason

simonmason

Running  - TV 1.7.0 and Server 4.7.10.0.  Can't upgrade to 4.7.11.0 yet as unraid docker has not been updated - but looking at changelog I don't think this is an issue.

All files playback on other platforms - iPad, web without issues.  Any help appreciated.

ffmpeg-remux-6a630ed2-f8ce-4534-8f97-e16429638c98_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-9e1df5ce-ae26-46dd-9534-82e6a4a1aa25_1.txt

simonmason

@Luke Here is some other information.

On movies where this is an issue, the information bar does not go away while it is playing the audio with no video.  Also, when it is like this the back button doesn't work - the one that exits back out to the menu.  It is only when I pause the movie that the back button works.

Another weird thing.  Sometimes my pre-roll doesn't play correctly - it skips through it in about 1/10 of the normal time.  When it does this then the movie plays with video and audio.  This is all a little quirky.

I store most of my stuff in 1080p h264 and I can't see any differences between the ones that play and the ones that don't - so far at least.

Edited by simonmason
  • Agree 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, simonmason said:

@Luke Here is some other information.

On movies where this is an issue, the information bar does not go away while it is playing the audio with no video.  Also, when it is like this the back button doesn't work - the one that exits back out to the menu.  It is only when I pause the movie that the back button works.

Another weird thing.  Sometimes my pre-roll doesn't play correctly - it skips through it in about 1/10 of the normal time.  When it does this then the movie plays with video and audio.  This is all a little quirky.

I store most of my stuff in 1080p h264 and I can't see any differences between the ones that play and the ones that don't - so far at least.

Hi, it looks like this is just on a plain mp4, is that right? Can you provide a sample video for testing?

But since you mention pre-rolls, let's just rule this out first - please try disabling the Cinema Intros feature altogether and let me know if that resolves the issue. If it does then that will help us narrow this down. Thanks !

simonmason

@Luke Bingo - the pre-rolls are doing it.  When I disable them the movies and TV shows play fine.  Hopefully that helps?

• 1 month later...
simonmason

Hi @Lukethis is still an issue.  I had to disable the playing of trailers again last week as the Apple TV was not playing certain files.  I didn't do exhaustive testing but I know which one didn't work and can provide more details as needed.  I don't know if it is the format of the trailers, or the main content that is the issue, or both?  Thanks.

Hi, this should be resolved in Emby for Apple TV 1.7.2. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, simonmason said:

@LukeUnfortunately it does not look like it is fixed in 1.7.2.

Hi, can you please provide an example? Thanks.

simonmason

@LukeI wanted to test it tonight.  I played the movie Nothing Compares 2 U.  Trailer played fine.  The movie audio played but I just got a blank grey screen.  I disabled trailers, played the movie and it worked first time.  Turn trailers back on and it does the same thing.  Also, when the movie is playing with the grey screen and just audio, the back button does not work.  I have to pause it and then I can back out of the movie.  I have attached the log file if this is helpful?  Thanks.

embyserver.txt

Edited by simonmason

• 2 weeks later...

HI, can you please try the new Emby for Apple TV 1.7.3 update and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
simonmason

Are you asking about a sample of the trailer videos (it seems to happen with all of them) or the movies I am playing (again it seems to happen with all of them)

mcaphasia

I have a similar problem with certain files on AppleTV, I like to have tv shows on random. The first episode always plays fine, but after a while (sometimes after one, sometimes after several) episodes just have a gray screen while the audio plays. Once it happens it never plays right again. It certainly seems like an app problem, these files play fine on pc and emby theater. Haven't tested ipad or android.

• Agree 1

hstamas
11 hours ago, mcaphasia said:

I have a similar problem with certain files on AppleTV, I like to have tv shows on random. The first episode always plays fine, but after a while (sometimes after one, sometimes after several) episodes just have a gray screen while the audio plays. Once it happens it never plays right again. It certainly seems like an app problem, these files play fine on pc and emby theater. Haven't tested ipad or android.

I reported a related problem while testing the beta app but found it happens on the stable release as well.

It has made Emby on the Apple TV unusable. I had to switch back to my Nvidia Shield.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:24 PM, mcaphasia said:

HI, can you provide a sample video for testing? Thanks.