instal Emby after moving its folder to another volume lost everything?

Davey's
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Davey's

Hi after installing Emby again on volume 2 on Dsm7(latest updates)

I noticed that i need to go through the whole installation process, my users, folders and statistics now seem lost, how do I get my data back?

In any case, I want to keep all statistics, they are very sacred to me 🙄

This probably has been discussed several times but I don't know how to find another topic about it or how to search for it, excuse me for a double topic about this item :)

Emby SERVER (Programdata) previously ran on volume 2, but was running on an SSD which I've now swapped back for a spinning disk..

@Davey's

Is there a reason you are installing on volume2 vs the default volume1?

Nothing wrong with this but just want to understand the reason in case for the change. Let me ask a couple other questions as well to see if we might have any tips for you while resetting Emby up on Vol 2.

Are both volume1 and volume2 both spinning rust?
Do you have any SSD/NVRAM in the system?

Which NAS is this?
How much memory do you have in the NAS total?
Running any VMs on the NAS?
How many HDDs make up vol 1?
How many HDDs make up vol 2?

Have you tested read/write speed to volume2 vs volume1?  Depending how the volumes are created there could be a difference in access speeds?

PS as long as you haven't manually removed Emby from volume1 the data should be intact and we can give you instructions how to migrate this data.  It's actually a subset of what was written up for migrating to DSM 7 which required a storage location change for Emby.

Davey's

@Luke that's correct

Emby was running fine on volume 2 where i install all apps (except Docker thats still on volume 1)

its a Synology ds918+ with its standard config of 4gb no added ssd/nv ram

Volume 1 is a raid0 config of 2 disk (btfrs), mainly for movies only.

Volume 2 is a one disk only (in ext4) 

What i did i stop emby server in Synology package and swap all the data temperally to another usb drive and back to it's new created folder once tghe drive was swapped as well on volume 2 again

install emby again, and figure out something went probably wrong :$

7 hours ago, Davey's said:

Hoe can i get my statistic from it, and use is in a fresh install?

What do you mean by statistic ?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Davey's said:

Media already watched, that kind of info

Do you use the Server Configuration Backup plugin?

Otherwise, you need the original users and library dbs.

Davey's

fortunately found, is there a manual describing how I can best restore a backup?

Screenshot_2023-02-21-06-01-05-24_3eaaf8b614841f8f661bfb6becc7f808.jpg.e4fb5c46e74797b1acb948a6648707a0.jpg

Edited by Davey's

• Solution
On 2/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, Davey's said:

@Luke that's correct

Emby was running fine on volume 2 where i install all apps (except Docker thats still on volume 1)

its a Synology ds918+ with its standard config of 4gb no added ssd/nv ram

Volume 1 is a raid0 config of 2 disk (btfrs), mainly for movies only.

Volume 2 is a one disk only (in ext4) 

What i did i stop emby server in Synology package and swap all the data temperally to another usb drive and back to it's new created folder once tghe drive was swapped as well on volume 2 again

install emby again, and figure out something went probably wrong :$

If you don't mind me asking, is there any reason you are not using a RAID type that will give you protection?

Right now if you lose any drive the volume is gone/done/destroyed and you loose all files on that volume.
Do you have a backup of both volumes that you update daily?

The RAID0 combines the first two drives making one larger storage space. However, you doubled your chance for data loss. Volume2 is a single drive without any type of redundancy.
Without, some type of parity information even something like a power loss could cause you to loose a volume as there is no redundant data.

By any chance are all 3 drives the same size or close to the same size?  If so I'd strongly consider migrating your storage to a single volume using BTRFS using RAID5 which would give you 2 drives worth of data with redundancy.  You could then add another storage drive and have 3 drives worth of data with redundancy.

On to your actual issue now. :)

Let's get a better idea of exactly what you did so we can try and recommend the best solution for you if possible.

When you say you "swapped" all data to a USB drive then to the volume2 drive did you actually move the data or copy it?
Is the original data still on volume1?
If not, is it still on the USB drive?
Did you copy everything from 
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer including all sub directories to the USB drive then back to /volume2/@appdata/EmbyServer?
Did you reset ownership of all files after migrating this info?
Did you set permissions?

If you didn't copy everything from /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer explain what you did copy/move.

It's great you had installed and configured the Emby Configuration Backup Plugin.  That should "save the day" for you but depending on the answers to the above questions I asked I might suggest trying something different before using the backups.

To answer your other question about doing a restore from the plugin I'll direct you to our Knowledge Base Article on it's use located here:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-configuration-backup

If you did copy everything including the subdirectories and have it available still on volume1 or on the USB drive I'd prefer we trying migrating that data vs database restore. This will allow us to migrate everything including metadata and cache info so Emby Server has little to do after the migration.  With the Configuration restore we will be able to restore all key config options (some we will need to change after the restore) and all database info including watch status but the server may have some additional work to do.

Looking forward to your reply,
Carlo

Davey's

Hi Carlo,

Thanks again, I had all kind of data on volume 2, this SSD(1Tb drive) my actions are as followed.

stop emby server and copy all the data to USB-drive take out the SSD, swapped it for a 4TB mechanic/spining drive, create the new storage pool/volume 2 (ext4) create shared folder 'Emby' and give the permissions as well for system internal as users to -> emby.

Copy all data back to this new Emby folder. And install the version, which is available in DSM/Package center. (maybe the installed version before was newer)

I am not familiar wit this so called @appdata (/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer ) is this a windows enviroment maybe or is it a hidden system folder which is'nt shown is synology? Also its named as Emby in my synology, not Embyserver

Did you reset ownership of all files after migrating this info? I'd believe i did not reset any kind of files, also not sure how I should do it :$

maybe i made some mistakes, or in other words ruin it, therefore sorry  but hopefully it's something we can fix and not necessarily need to build it from scratch

Thanks, I am aware of losing all the data because of Raid 0, therefore I do reguarly back-ups (not daily) its a movies-volume, not much going on. thanks in advance for the warnings about it, I did my homework when i set it up and it was a decision especially to keep/get the most out of my storage per HDD :) 

That sounds like you only copied the media files and not the program or core Emby Server files.

Try this for me.
Open Control Panel on DSM.
Go to Terminal & SNMP menu and set it to look like this.
image.png

We will now SSH into your Synology NAS.  You will need to use your admin login name and will need to know the IP of NAS. If you don't know the IP address you can find it here:
image.png

Open a DOS command prompt on Windows by holding the windows key while hitting letter R.  Type cmd and hit enter. Type the following but change the username and IP address.

ssh username@IP
ie
ssh carlo@10.69.0.31

Hit enter and you should get a password prompt. Enter your DSM password for the admin account.

Next type the following to go super user (root) for the interactive session.

sudo -i

hit enter and type the same password again.  You will now be a root/super user.
We will now check to see if Emby Server files are still on Volume1 by typing the following:

cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

hit enter
Hopefully you didn't get an error message.
Type this  (these are 2 lower case L letters)

ls -l

hit enter

If you received some lines back that have directories named cache, config, data, logs, metadata (and more) then we should have your original Emby Server from volume1 intact and can use it to migrate to volume2.

Let us know how you make out doing this.

You can close the cmd window or type exit followed by enter a couple times to logout. If you don't want to leave SSH enabled on the NAS go back in control and disable it.

Carlo

Davey's

I did get response -ash: cd: /volume1/@appdata/Embyserver: No such file or directory (it was never installed on this volume before)

but unfortunately also on volume 2 -ash: cd: /volume2/@appdata/Embyserver: No such file or directory (this because emby was'nt installed before on this new volume i guess)

i now stop doing the other handlings, seems pointless to me