Connection with Emby server but cannot play any music from library

KryptonicBe

KryptonicBe

Hi

I recently installed the Alexa Emby skill and I have tested some basic commands but I can't get Alexa to play music via Emby.
I have only 3 music libraries (no movies), when I ask Alexa (via the Emby skill) to play random music it asks me on which player (this current device or some sonos speakers).
When I ask Alexa to play on a specific player she reponds with "sorry i'm having trouble accessing your emby skill right now".

If I ask for the current user I get the name of my default user so it looks like there is a connection with my Emby server.
When I ask Alexa which music was recently added I get a list of strange names like "chiefsaholic super fan" or "ESPN", these are not songs from my libraries
I also tried to ask "play something", then she tells me "I could not find content of this type".

How can I ask Alexa to play music, do I need to specify the name(s) of my libraries too?

Thanks.

KryptonicBe

Hi 

update; after some testing I was finally able to play some music from my Emby server via the Alexa/Emby skill voice commands.

The following 2 types of voice commands work for me:

"Play the playlist {playlist name}."
"Play a song by {artist name name} ."

After the first command Alexa gives me a list of available players: 1 this player 2 kitchen sonos 3 oneplus nord 4 sonos living room ....
When i select one of the sonos speakers it works but I would like to play the music on my phone (Emby android app), is that possible?

I use Alexa and Emby on my phone, I tried to select "this player" (my phone)  as player but when I do that Alexa tells me she has trouble accessing the Emby skill, when I select "oneplus nord" (also my phone) Alexa tells me the music started playing but nothing happens on my phone.

Edited by KryptonicBe

KryptonicBe

I thought I found a solution to play on my phone, I read in some comments that port 443 is required for Alexa (for remote access or if the player is not DLNA like sonos), I changed my port forwarding on my firewall and after that I wanted to modify the ports in the "Network" menu on the Emby server but I think I messed up there. I'm locked out of my own Emby server, I can't acess is via http or https.

I can stil access my Emby server via shell (Truenas Jail) or Winscp and browse to the Emby server iocage.
Does anyone know where the settings for the network ports are stored (for Emby server on Truenas), is there a config file I can replace or edit?

Edited by KryptonicBe

Happy2Play

All I can say is in the Emby system.xml file in Emby /programdata/config folder but do not know this platform path.

Something like "Data path: /config" per another log. So /config/config?

KryptonicBe

Hi Happy2Play

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I don't find the programdata folder, i found some config folders but not with system.xml and no recent files were modified in there.
I tested the IP address of my Emby server with a port scanner, all ports on my emby server are closed/not responding, I only changed the https port before rebooting, really strange.

KryptonicBe

I installed a new Emby server and was able to fix the port forwarding on port 443 and install a valid ssl certificate.

So now I can ask Alexy to play on "this device" or "oneplus nord", she accepts my request and tells me a certain song is playing.
However nothing is playing on my phone and I have the Emby app open.

Do I need to change some settings or permissions on my phone for the Emby app?
My goal is to be able to start a playlist or a song on my phone (in the Emby app) via Alexa commands.

Edited by KryptonicBe

3 hours ago, KryptonicBe said:

I installed a new Emby server and was able to fix the port forwarding on port 443 and install a valid ssl certificate.

So now I can ask Alexy to play on "this device" or "oneplus nord", she accepts my request and tells me a certain song is playing.
However nothing is playing on my phone and I have the Emby app open.

Do I need to change some settings or permissions on my phone for the Emby app?
My goal is to be able to start a playlist or a song on my phone (in the Emby app) via Alexa commands.

HI, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do this?

Thanks.

KryptonicBe

Hi Luke

I've uploaded my server log.
The problem occured at the end of the logfile (a little bit before 2AM).
I'm logged in with user "kryptonic" and I asked Alexa to play a playlist 90s twice, first time I asked "player 1 this player" and second time "player 7 oneplus nord"
I immediately got a response that a song started playing but I did not see or hear anything playing.

Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks

embyserver (2).txt

KryptonicBe

Hi Luke

You can close this thread, the problem is solved it was a permissions issue for the Emby app on my phone.
I saw my Emby app didn't have permissions for the mic or storage so I gave it these 2 basic permissions and now it works when I ask Alexa to play a playlist on "this device" the music start playing on my phone.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...