Collections vs Sets

TugboatBill

TugboatBill

I'm running Emby for Kodi Next Gen on Libreelec.  Both are current versions.

In Emby I have a collection Alien.  In that collection I have movies that were automatically added plus some that I've added via "Add to Collection".  In Emby the collection looks good, with 7 movies.  However in Kodi I only see 4 movies in the Alien set.  In Kodi I went into the Emby addon and deleted movies and then readded it, hoping to see the sets properly fill out.  Nope, the same.  I tried resyncing sets but no joy.  

Should I be seeing collection data in Kodi sets?  

Note - the Alien collection has movies that are in more than one collection, IE Alien Covenant is in the Promethius Collection and I manually added it to the Alien Collection.  Any movie I have in more than one Collection does not appear in more than one set in Kodi.  It is my understanding Kodi supports movies in more than one set, or at least it did in 2011 (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=103441)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
TugboatBill
Posted (edited)

In Collections I have the Lord of the Rings.  In Kodi Sets I don't have that.  Can anyone explain why they're different and if there's something I can to make Kodi Sets reflect what is in the Emby Collections?

Edited by TugboatBill

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, TugboatBill said:

In Collections I have the Lord of the Rings.  In Kodi Sets I don't have that.  Can anyone explain why they're different and if there's something I can to make Kodi Sets reflect what is in the Emby Collections?

That is how Emby make Collections now also as it reads the <set> node on the individual items.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_sets#:~:text=save your changes-,nfo Files,-Using nfo files

With minor differences like Emby doesn't have overview to my knowledge as it get the actual collection data from TMDB.

<set tmdbcolid="9485">
    <name>The Fast and the Furious Collection</name>
  </set>

If not a provider collection it will just be

<set>
    <name>The Fast and the Furious Collection</name>
  </set>

But not a Kodi user so someelse will have to comment on the two playing well together.

quickmic

Note - the Alien collection has movies that are in more than one collection

I think that's exactly what causes the "issue".

Collections/boxset/sets on Kodi are handled differently by use case.

Synced nodes: Collections on Emby are synced to Kodi, but Kodi has limitations. On Emby you can assign the same movie to different collections. Kodi is not capable to handle that. Such movies will be assigned to only one collection in Kodi and depends on timing (which syncs last). This could result in a in a scenario you reported.

It would be new to me, that Kodi supports movies on multiple collections.

Dynamic nodes: They should show the entire movies assigned to collections.

Edited by quickmic

feerlessleadr

@quickmicWhat would be the best way to handle this for a Movies library that is synced, and where movies are added to multiple sets/collections?

Should I ensure that every movie is assigned to only 1 collection in Emby? Or am I able to dynamically browse the node through the addon, even though the node is synced?

quickmic

Both is possible, dynamic nodes are a bit slower. Depends on your use case.

Edited by quickmic

feerlessleadr

Thanks - Sorry, my question wasn't very clear. Is is possible to have all movies show up when assigned to multiple collections for a synced node in kodi when viewing the collections via the dynamic option in the addon for the same node (despite that the fact that the node is already synced)?