Constant audio dropouts in Emby Theater, no issues in Kodi

jluce50

jluce50

With my favorite Kodi skin Embuary being abandonware, I decided to explore Theater as an alternative. No matter what I do, any file with bitstreaming has constant half-second audio dropouts. I've searched the forums and played with the audio-buffer and audio-exclusive settings in mpv.conf and neither seems to help. Are there any other settings I'm overlooking?

Eventually Kodi will no longer be an option (unless someone resurrects Embuary... fingers crossed) and I'd like to have a replacement lined up, but right now Theater is unwatchable.

Edited by jluce50

jluce50
17 hours ago, generiq said:

Void your mpv.conf, select video output gpu-next and try again 

Tried this and had 2 dropouts in about 5 minutes of watching, so a definite improvement! As a bonus, the picture quality is noticeably better as well. Still, it'd be nice to eliminate the dropouts completely...

jluce50
14 hours ago, generiq said:

Produce an mpv log with no other entries in you conf other than logging. Play video once, attach log

Log is attached.

And here are the audio settings:Screenshot_5.thumb.png.5687fad9f016518b51a92a952fa89db6.png

Theater_mpv_log.txt

Edited by jluce50

jluce50
On 2/15/2023 at 12:39 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

On 2/15/2023 at 3:58 PM, jluce50 said:

Okay, I just played about 30 seconds of an episode during which there were 3 or 4 dropouts. It starts at roughly 15:48 in the server log.

embyserver.txt 3.91 MB · 0 downloads Theater_mpv_log.txt 54.51 kB · 2 downloads

@Luke Were you able to take a look at the logs?

generiq
On 2/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, jluce50 said:

Log is attached.

And here are the audio settings:Screenshot_5.thumb.png.5687fad9f016518b51a92a952fa89db6.png

Theater_mpv_log.txt 204.91 kB · 1 download

In the past, when I have experienced what you're describing, it's been a buffer issue. You might be led to believe that it's an audio issue, but it's often video. The frames have to be decoded and correctly synchronized. If there is some lag or general mistiming during the decode/render process, this can cause what you have. This is why you don't experience it with mpv decoding the audio. It can make corrections. When 'passthrough' is enabled, mpv cannot do anything with the audio. This is also why some --video-sync options don't work with audio passthrough is enabled. Now, it could still be an --ao issue, but I see in your log that you have --gpu-hq enabled. Your video driver may not be working well with the scaling options that it sets. So, when you test, set a baseline. Disable all extra options, both audio and video, use gpu-next with audio passthrough enabled. Make sure your conf has nothing but logging, and start there. Also try different video codecs, h264, h265 etc. And juxtapose the results. This could also relate to file container demuxing, and whether the demuxer is taking the information from the container or directly from decoding.

Edited by generiq

jluce50

Hmm, interesting. Makes me wonder why I don't have this problem using MPC-BE/MadVR with much heavier processing going on.

I'm not really sure where to go from here given that I tried only gpu-next with no other enhancements and still had the problem. There doesn't appear to be a baseline where this doesn't happen.

generiq
11 minutes ago, jluce50 said:

Hmm, interesting. Makes me wonder why I don't have this problem using MPC-BE/MadVR with much heavier processing going on.

I'm not really sure where to go from here given that I tried only gpu-next with no other enhancements and still had the problem. There doesn't appear to be a baseline where this doesn't happen.

You still have audio exclusivity enabled, according to your screenshot. And the log shows gpu-hq enabled. 

You're assuming processing power when I didn't imply that. I am referring to incorrection not lack of ability. Technicality not strength. We need to establish a baseline. I believe you you said there's no issue when letting mpv decode the audio. So then we must look elsewhere where for answers.

[   0.042][v][cplayer] Setting option 'profile' = 'gpu-hq' (flags = 4)
[   0.042][v][cplayer] Applying profile 'gpu-hq'...
[   0.042][v][cplayer] Setting option 'scale' = 'spline36' (flags = 4)
[   0.042][v][cplayer] Setting option 'cscale' = 'spline36' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'dscale' = 'mitchell' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'dither-depth' = 'auto' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'correct-downscaling' = 'yes' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'linear-downscaling' = 'yes' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'sigmoid-upscaling' = 'yes' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Setting option 'deband' = 'yes' (flags = 4)
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Set property: profile="opengl-hq" -> 1
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Set property: video-sync="display-vdrop" -> 1
[   0.043][v][cplayer] Set property: fullscreen=true -> 1

Edited by generiq

jluce50
2 minutes ago, generiq said:

You still have audio exclusivity enabled, according to your screenshot. And the log shows gpu-hq enabled. 

You're assuming processing power when I didn't imply that. I am referring to incorrection not lack of ability. Technicality not strength. We need to establish a baseline. I believe you you said there's no issue when letting mpv decode the audio. So then we must look elsewhere where for answers.

Gotcha. I'll try again without exclusivity and gpu-hq (I'm assuming that's the "Enable OpenGL high quality profile" setting in Theater?).

jluce50
1 hour ago, generiq said:

All options other than gpu-next and audio passthrough should be voided/default/auto

Okay, tried that and still get occasional dropouts.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this, btw. Much appreciated!

generiq
1 hour ago, jluce50 said:

Okay, tried that and still get occasional dropouts.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this, btw. Much appreciated!

Ok, now, if your cpu is strong enough to software decode, try setting hardware acceleration to 'no'

Edited by generiq

jluce50
19 hours ago, generiq said:

Ok, now, if your cpu is strong enough to software decode, try setting hardware acceleration to 'no'

Just tried it with hardware acceleration set to 'None' and got a dropout within about 20 seconds. I'm running a Ryzen 1700X, which I'd think is plenty powerful...

Edited by jluce50

generiq

Ok, so looking at the lineage:

libmpv = dropout every few seconds

gpu-next = 2 in 5 minutes

none = 1 dropout in 20 secs (but we don't know if more would have occurred if left playing)

Correct?

jluce50
22 hours ago, generiq said:

Ok, so looking at the lineage:

libmpv = dropout every few seconds

gpu-next = 2 in 5 minutes

none = 1 dropout in 20 secs (but we don't know if more would have occurred if left playing)

Correct?

Yep, looks correct to me...

generiq

Sorry, I've got some life stuff I'm dealing with. 

My general sense here is to employ a delay or buffer, possibly combination. I haven't had enough to look into it, I'm afraid. Hopefully, I'll get squared away soon.

One thing that can exacerbate this is skipping forward and back.

In your conf, you could try adding 

audio-buffer=1

That's large, but it might help.

You could also try

force-seekable=yes

cache=yes

cache-secs=30

jluce50
On 2/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, generiq said:

Sorry, I've got some life stuff I'm dealing with.

No worries, I completely understand. Thanks again for the help!

jluce50
17 hours ago, generiq said:

Did you by chance try my suggestions?

I did. There was a noticeable improvement, but it didn't completely solve the problem. I also experimented with the 'demuxer-max-bytes' setting to no avail.

I'm just hoping this gets sorted out one way or another before Embuary becomes unusable.