English and Spanish audio reversed

jriker1

jriker1

I did my first recording of live tv today.  Came out odd.

11:30AM - 12:30PM recorded Young and the Restless

12:30PM - 1:00PM recorded Bold and the Beautiful

System set to start 3 minutes early and end 5 minutes after when it can.

that last part probably not relevant.  Young and the Restless was fine.  Defaulted to English audio and was in English.  Bold and the Beautiful defaulted to English 5.1 audio but was in Spanish.  I switched to the selection of Spanish Stereo and was English.  Not sure if that was actually 5.1 audio  or stereo English but wasn't right.  Any ideas?

jriker1

Here are my server logs.  Time ranges on the 14th are above.  Tried to watch it around 5:00PM or so.

embyserver-63812015997.txt

Also because I'm still recording this in multiple places and Emby can see those shows, would probably be entries related to this folder:

\\hype.iceo.local\e$\Emby_Recordings\Emby_Recordings

Waiting for another recording of B&B today to see what happens however noticed with Y&R with MKVToolNix both audio tracks show  active and set to default.  Not sure if that's an issue or not maybe separate from what we are troubleshooting now.

Edited by jriker1

For the bold and the beautiful, if you play that recording in vlc and select the english track, what do you get?

jriker1

OK here's the deal.  Recorded another episode.

First minute or so is Young and the Restless overlap.  The English 5.1 track according to the selection in Emby is English.  When it gets to the Bold and the Beautiful show it becomes Spanish.  Stats for nerds says it's 5.1 audio.

If I switch it to Spanish, both the initial Y&R part is English and the B&B audio is English.  Stats for nerds says it's 2.0 audio.

So I thought that was odd.

Here is a link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pibex1kl7kuifcz/The Bold and the Beautiful S36E99.ts?dl=0

I tried as you asked and played thru VLC

When set to what opened as the English track, everything played in English.

When I changed to Spanish that Y&R segment was still in English and the B&B played in Spanish.

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

Oh should mention it does the same thing on the Android phone app installed in the NVidia Shield.

Also for completeness as don't want to leave anything out, using the ComSkipper plugin.  Attaching the two other files that are in the folder with the video.

The Bold and the Beautiful S36E99.edl The Bold and the Beautiful S36E99.nfo

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

One other item to add is when I play Young and the Restless that comes before it, Y&R is English and then the first minute or two of Bold and the Beautiful is at the end of the video.  That B&B segment plays on Emby as Spanish as well.

• Thanks 1

jriker1

Note this does not happen with the Web player however it is also transcoding the audio as it's 5.1 and playing on a PC without.

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 2/16/2023 at 7:02 PM, jriker1 said:

Oh should mention it does the same thing on the Android phone app installed in the NVidia Shield.

Also for completeness as don't want to leave anything out, using the ComSkipper plugin.  Attaching the two other files that are in the folder with the video.

The Bold and the Beautiful S36E99.edl 84 B · 0 downloads The Bold and the Beautiful S36E99.nfo 2.05 kB · 0 downloads

As a test, you could move that edl file somewhere and see if the problem persists. That would either say the problem is caused by the seek command sent by the Comskipper plugin, or it is unrelated.

Edited by BillOatman

jriker1

Took the EDL and any NFO files for good measure out of the folder and same deal.  English 5.1 audio selected, 

End of the prior show was in English.

The audio cut out on the commercials after that.

Then the main show was in Spanish

Doesn't look like the B&B video I posted was downloaded from DropBox so guessing people are busy.  Probably going to go back to Windows 7 MCE for now until this can be looked at being it's all part of Emby the show recording and playback.

BillOatman

I took  a look and I see this:

image.png.84a7599f5f93849bc5237f234afb0286.png

image.png.d310977e326ba88f9c1a09945be00040.png

It shows the first audio stream as spanish, second as english.  
Put it on my Emby server and I see for audio choices:

image.thumb.png.84af2018f3952499836899b01a4a014c.png

What's more interesting is, no matter what audio stream I select, the audio is in English.
@Luke  When I play that file of his in VLC it does play the spanish audio track when selected.

So mine seems broken as well, but in my case it always plays English.  

I tried with this:

As well as English, how I have it normally.

image.png

Edited by BillOatman

jriker1
9 hours ago, softworkz said:

From which tuner is this recorded? Is it ATSC3?

This is a HD Homerun Prime 3 tuner with Comcast cablecard.

Bit more detail if helps as record Young and Restless first and then Bold and the Beautiful:

Y&R both tracks play in English but sound on Spanish Stereo track is a lot lower.  No transcoding going on for reference.  All direct play.

B&B is playing Spanish on Shield and showing Audio English AC3 5.1 in Emby web dashboard

Switching to Spanish Stereo on B&B showing Spanish AC3 stereo playback in the Emby Web dashboard but playing English on the Shield.

Again everything thru the Shield is Direct Play.

Edited by jriker1

Thanks for the sample file.

What's happening here is that there are different interpretations of which audio stream is considered to be "Stream 0" and "Stream 1".
In MPEG terms, there doesn't exist something like a "stream 0" or "stream 1". 

There is one audio stream with PID 2072 (0x0818) and one with PID 2073 (0x0819), but the one with PID 2073 comes first in the PMT table. That's why ffmpeg/ffprobe considers 2073 as stream 0. Other players - like you have seen - seem to sort the audio streams by the PID, though:

image.png.59e2eec3689ecf86ad0a72a8ecb4f6b4.png

This is what's causing the mismatch between what Emby shows and thinks which stream is which.

Regarding the two different shows: The first one just isn't broadcast in dual language, so the 2ch stream is English as well.

Edited by softworkz

It would be interesting to see what happens when direct-playing this in a client which is using MPV for playback, as MPV is using ffmpeg internally. Probably it will be working right in those cases.

jriker1
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

It would be interesting to see what happens when direct-playing this in a client which is using MPV for playback, as MPV is using ffmpeg internally. Probably it will be working right in those cases

I'm game is there a player somewhere I should be looking for?  Note I did play this again on Emby Web on my Windows 10 PC.  Results were:

Selected the Spanish track

Y&R start plays English at the start
Commercial between two shows say 2:17 into the show have no sound like I have been seeing.
Then plays in Spanish for the main show.

Transcoding audio all the time if I do the 5.1 English track or the 2.0 Spanish track.

Again still transcoding audio but the 5.1 English track thru Emby Web plays fine and no missing sound on the above mentioned commercial area.

Note I do not have the file I posted locally anymore so playing any random one I have downloaded since then.

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

MPV plays the file perfectly.  All in English and no missing audio in the commercials between shows.  I do not see an Android version so this is on my Windows 10 laptop.

Edit found it on Android just impossible to navigate and doesn't pull up any videos just shows folders.  I have been devastated by the interface on MPV on Android.  Bottom items are covered by giant buttons, have to do some kind of selection of a folder to work in or something, when you click on a video at that point it just goes back to the main screen.

Edited by jriker1

• 1 month later...
jriker1

Is this one dead in the water?  Every video I play from the Emby recorded shows is playing the wrong track and have to keep switching to the Spanish track or in some cases the second track.  No other client does this when playing the source.

• 1 month later...