LG Emby App - Playback Error - No compatible streams

RichardJNK

RichardJNK

since a couple of weeks i've the exact same problem. NO COMPATIBLE STREAM

Configuration: Emby-server on Synology-NAS. Emby-client on LG-tv or Emby-client on Chromecast connected to LG-tv.

I used this configuration without any problems for many months (years).

I'm sure that due too an update either for LG, Emby, Chromecast or Synology a couple of weeks ago the "no compatible STREAM" suddenly popped up.

Chromecasting to the Chromecast connected to the LG-tv causes the same problem.

THe combination Emby + LG-tv is causing the problem.

Running the Emby-client on whatever Android-Device or on Windows runs without any problem.

FredrikT

Have you gotten any feedback on this problem @RichardJNK? I reported this identical problem in December, and I've attached the requested information in a private thread to Luke, but no answers since.

We specifically bought a LG tv for my (now quite old) dad as it had a built-in Emby app that worked (or so it seemed). It really frustrating with complete silence from the admins 😒

LEGEND96

I seem to be having the same issue. Last I tested in early January the app still functioned normally. I just tested it again today and it didn't work. Don't use the LG TV that often so I can't quite pinpoint the exact date it happened, but it might be a firmware upgrade on the TV that caused it. For information, my TV specs are:

Model number: 40UF770T

Firmware version: 04.06.25 (Might be this. Latest version I can find on LG's site is still 04.05.60, dated 14 November 2022)

WebOS version: 2.2.3-2155 (Unlikely to be this as the OS version doesn't seem to change beyond minor version upgrades)

Emby Version: 4.7.11.0 (Unlikely to be this, was running it in January 2023 when I last tested the LG TV Emby app)

@RichardJNK @FredrikT, if possible could you guys also share your configurations? It may help pinpoint the root cause. 

FredrikT
1 hour ago, LEGEND96 said:

I seem to be having the same issue. Last I tested in early January the app still functioned normally. I just tested it again today and it didn't work. Don't use the LG TV that often so I can't quite pinpoint the exact date it happened, but it might be a firmware upgrade on the TV that caused it. For information, my TV specs are:

Model number: 40UF770T

Firmware version: 04.06.25 (Might be this. Latest version I can find on LG's site is still 04.05.60, dated 14 November 2022)

WebOS version: 2.2.3-2155 (Unlikely to be this as the OS version doesn't seem to change beyond minor version upgrades)

Emby Version: 4.7.11.0 (Unlikely to be this, was running it in January 2023 when I last tested the LG TV Emby app)

@RichardJNK @FredrikT, if possible could you guys also share your configurations? It may help pinpoint the root cause. 

Thanks for sharing! As this is a new tv, the first thing I did was to update everything. So it has never worked with Emby.
The TV isn't in my place, but I'll be going there sometimes this weekend, so I can check the versions. I don't know if LG has one unified Firmware/WebOS version for all their tvs, or if it's different across regions. But I'll report back.

RichardJNK

Since I noticed the default answer is: "send more information" while in my opinion my description of the problem is very clear; I hesitated to send the info. 

Anyway: the problem is solved since today (yesterday?). I don't know how!!??

The most likely solution is un update of the firmware by LG on my smart oled TV.

I have automatic update ON.

Current software version LG TV  is 03.34.55

Chromecast is: 4.9.269 (sep 2022)

Qnap-NAS TS230: OS-version 5.0.1 Build 20230112.   Sorry: in my previous message I erroneous said it is a Synology 

Emby-server on NAS : 4.7.11.0

LEGEND96

@RichardJNKGood to hear it fixed itself. 03.34.55 does seem to be a rather recent firmware release, so its likely the reason. 

@FredrikTIt looks like the firmware versions are not unified across LG TVs. I would recommend checking the release date of whatever firmware your TV is running and checking online to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Some other options I'm considering are finding an older firmware version and installing that, or even checking in with LG customer support to see what can be done. Honestly not a very high priority for me since I rarely use that TV anyway, so can't guarantee I'll have anything else to contribute here. Best of luck. 

RichardJNK

Seems LG firmware versions differ depending on TV-type.

I have an OLED55C16LA running 03.34.55 in the Netherlands

FredrikT

Here's my setup:
LG TV (75NANO866PA) - autoupdate on everything
SW version: 03.34.55
WebOS Version: 6.3.2-423
Emby Client version: latest (1.0.37 I believe)

Emby server:
Version: 4.8.0.21 beta

• 1 month later...

If you're on the beta server then please let us know how the next build compares. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
FredrikT
On 24/03/2023 at 17:29, Luke said:

If you're on the beta server then please let us know how the next build compares. Thanks.

No changes with none of the beta builds. Tested this weekend with .38

• 1 month later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.39 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

• 1 month later...
FredrikT

Still having the same issue. The tv is connected to wifi, though the AP is very close to the tv so the signal is very strong. All other streaming apps work just fine.

• 5 months later...
FredrikT

I threw in the towel and bought a Chromecast TV 4k. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, as now I have to teach my (not so young) father how to change inputs, use the tv remote without dedicated buttons, etc.

But at least it works now. One thing I noticed as he launched the wrong (LG) Emby app, is that on the LG app it's trying to DirectPlay whereas on the Chromecast TV it's doing a DirectStream. Could there be a problem with the LG Emby app being unable to access local storage (which I believe is a requirement for DirectPlay (read it somewhere else))?

5 minutes ago, FredrikT said:

which I believe is a requirement for DirectPlay

Hi, this is not a requirement for direct play. Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it wasn't direct playing?

FredrikT
Just now, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

I've done this multiple times already Luke, going back over a year. This has been a long running issue for a few of us with newer LG tvs

SamES
1 hour ago, FredrikT said:

I've done this multiple times already Luke, going back over a year. This has been a long running issue for a few of us with newer LG tvs

FWIW, I still suspect your issue was related to https/reverse proxy issues not being compatible with the LG TV.  Did you ever try enabling standard http connections as a test to see if it fixed the problem?

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, SamES said:

FWIW, I still suspect your issue was related to https/reverse proxy issues not being compatible with the LG TV.  Did you ever try enabling standard http connections as a test to see if it fixed the problem?

To add - if it's logging on, navigating and browsing ok - it just fails to actually 'play' (over https) - then we know the LG root certificate is 'ok' - all that remains is the reverse proxy configuration.    What RP is it ?     Using nginx myself, I have no issues with remote playback on LG TV's. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

FredrikT
3 hours ago, SamES said:

Never did get around to try http. Any idea why LGs seem to have a problem with this, and no other devices I've tried (30+)?

FredrikT
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

To add - if it's logging on, navigating and browsing ok - it just fails to actually 'play' (over https) - then we know the LG root certificate is 'ok' - all that remains is the reverse proxy configuration.    What RP is it ?     Using nginx myself, I have no issues with remote playback on LG TV's. 

I'm using the build-in RP in Synology. But I'm planning to move away from Synology, so I'm probably moving to nginx myself. Just trying to figure out which OS i should run my new server on that's not too complex, support containers and VMs and HW acceleration with only the one discreet GPU