How do I connect externally?

Toys7505

Toys7505

Hello everyone - 

I currently have MB3 Server installed on one of my HTPC's. I know the web address - xx.x.x.xx:8096/mediabrowser but am unable to access from outside my home network.

I only get an error message saying "page can't be displayed" - What am I doing wrong? 

Toys

Happy2Play

Have you port forwarded port 8096 in yourrouter to your server?

Edited by Happy2Play

Toys7505

Have you port forwarded port 8096 in yourrouter to your server?

I am going to say "No" to that - is that what may be causing my issue? If so, steps involved for this?

Toys

Toys7505

Ok well I have the port open - 8096 on my modem/router, I open the MB3 android app on 4gLTE connection, I can see my movies through MB Server on my HTPC but when I select any movie, ALL I get is a splash screen of the movie and a spinning wheel in the middle - Nothing Happens........confused?!?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

Toys

Toys7505

So spinning wheel when u browse movie details...or when u play a movie?

Spinning wheel only when trying to play a movie, I can browse through movie details...........

Toys

Toys7505

well, I have done some additional testing (made sure of a static IP address and port 8096 open) - looking at Windows Task Manager, my CPU usage is "pegged" at 100% which might be causing MB3 App to not play movies outside my home network. Inside my home network, I can play movies using the MB3 App and CPU Usage hovers around 95-100%. Seems like its transcoding everything - How do I get it to stop doing that?

Toys

Well, from outside your network it will pretty much have to stream everything.

From inside your network, if you are using one of the TV apps (MBT/MBC) then be sure you defined your library with UNC paths that those machines can access.

Toys7505

Well, from outside your network it will pretty much have to stream everything.

From inside your network, if you are using one of the TV apps (MBT/MBC) then be sure you defined your library with UNC paths that those machines can access.

Yes. I have the correct UNC paths to access my test movie folder by other PC's or Devices.

Toys

saitoh183

I'm guessing that since you use unc path, your media is not one same machine as your media? If so you should try making the path of your Transcoding folder a unc path as well. That is what I had to do for people to view from outside the network... Just an idea