just checking

GreatFlashMan

GreatFlashMan

Am i right in thinking that i can intall the Android (mobile) version on Android/Google TV?

If so, how do i do this? I download the apk from git, and it refused to install?

(or am i just stupid?)

14 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Thanks,

What about the universal Android beta builds to test? I have signed for beta, but this only gets this version on my phone and not the Shield.

That is it. It's just not in the store for the Shield yet, but can be sideloaded.

GreatFlashMan

I have it running on the shield and a smart TV to test it. Just wanted to make sure it's the latest beta. 

9 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

I have it running on the shield and a smart TV to test it. Just wanted to make sure it's the latest beta. 

What version number do you have?

GreatFlashMan

I still (currently) prefer the native one for the most part. There are some UI issues in the cross platform release. I currently switch between the two.

ie. Native has issues with live TV. BBC1 SD just shows a grey screen, channels also stop completely when playing for no reason, but the android generic release does not exhibit these issues.

• Thanks 1

pwhodges
20 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

BBC1 SD channels have all been phased out and replaced with HD versions in the last couple of weeks

Only on satellite - they continue unchanged on Freeview (terrestrial digital).

Paul

pwhodges

Not so:

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/articles/2022/BBC-One-HD-rollout-England

• Freeview and YouView set-top boxes and TVs

The regional versions of BBC One HD for Freeview/YouView will all be made available by April 2023 – you’ll find the correct version of BBC One HD for your region at EPG 101 (and the SD version will still be available at EPG 1.)  We’ll be publishing more details on the actual timelines for each region on our reception advice website nearer the time. 

(my emphasis).

The point is that adding the regional HD to Freeview only required switching the feed on in the HD BBC1 channel, instead of the "not available" card.  On satellite they didn't have the bandwidth without dropping something, and they chose the SD version:

Closure of standard definition (SD) channels on the digital satellite platform

Unfortunately, to roll regional versions of BBC One HD in England on satellite plans, we need to close the standard definition (or SD) versions of our channels on the digital satellite platform.

On Freeview each transmitter only has to handle its own regional channel, so no change is required, whereas the satellite has to handle multiple regional channels which previously it didn't, which requires extra bandwidth.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1