Looking for some server upgrade advice - 1050ti or a new intel build?

hooraah
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

Im currently running a 2011v3 Xeon with 6 cores @ around 3.5 ghz and all cpu transcode.  It can handle 1 or maybe 2 4K transcodes depending on how high the bitrate is.  Obviously this is inefficient and power hungry, but its been working reliably and so I havent been messing with it.  Lately, I've been working with more 4K content and have had a few more users on, so Im looking to prep for the future.

I figure I can either pick up a new/used late gen intel system (9th/10th/11th gen? depending on sweet spot) or I can put a spare 1050ti GPU that just came out of my son's computer as a means of postponing the upgrade a little longer.

The only reason I'd really like to postpone the upgrade would be if there are new codecs or new intel quicksync support around the corner, and because 2.5GB ethernet doesn't seem to be standard on lower end intel boards I'd probably get for this build.  Ideally, I'd like to pickup a Dell Optiplex off lease from a business for pennies when they dump hundreds of them in a lot.

So, build a new/used 10th-ish gen system now, add in 2.5GB ethernet, and potentially have to upgrade again for AV1, or put the 1050ti in for now as a stopgap and see what hits the market in the next 12 months?

lightsout

I have a 1050ti in my system. I think its limitations are about where you already are. It does 2 4k streams pretty well, this is not scientific data so YMMV, I don't know if I currently have the driver had installed as I have changed hardware a few times. But that said I wouldn't hope for much more performance from the 1050ti.

The 10th and 11th gen quicksync are a huge leap forward. Just watch which cpu you get, as I was looking at them, it seemed like you needed a higher tier cpu to get the newer 7xx iGpu.

Understood.  In this case the 1050ti is free and wouldnt require a rebuild, so its hard to go wrong, but it doesnt sound like its going to be a huge leap forward and will come with more power draw.

I think I'll throw in the 1050ti for now and start deal hunting.  If I can find a prebuilt with the UHD 7xx in the next few months I will jump on it.  I really like the SFF prebuilts because except for mini servers, nobody wants them, so they are dirt cheap.  Otherwise I'll look for a 12th gen MB+CPU combo on sale at newegg or similar and then at least I should get 2.5GB onboard, but then I have to do the whole thing (case, PSU, fans....).  I guess I'll just see what comes up.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 02/02/2023 at 18:19, hooraah said:

Understood.  In this case the 1050ti is free and wouldnt require a rebuild, so its hard to go wrong, but it doesnt sound like its going to be a huge leap forward and will come with more power draw.

I think I'll throw in the 1050ti for now and start deal hunting.  If I can find a prebuilt with the UHD 7xx in the next few months I will jump on it.  I really like the SFF prebuilts because except for mini servers, nobody wants them, so they are dirt cheap.  Otherwise I'll look for a 12th gen MB+CPU combo on sale at newegg or similar and then at least I should get 2.5GB onboard, but then I have to do the whole thing (case, PSU, fans....).  I guess I'll just see what comes up.

Spot on - anything with a UHD 7xx is honestly going to be more than sufficient.

The 12100 (non F - you want the one with the iGPU) is an amazingly capable cpu/gpu combo in emby for the money.

The G7400 (Pentium) and even the G6900 (Celeron) are also UHD7xx enabled - so even those make very capable 4K transcoding emby servers although personally, I would spend the extra and get the i3.

On 2/5/2023 at 5:15 AM, rbjtech said:

Spot on - anything with a UHD 7xx is honestly going to be more than sufficient.

The 12100 (non F - you want the one with the iGPU) is an amazingly capable cpu/gpu combo in emby for the money.

The G7400 (Pentium) and even the G6900 (Celeron) are also UHD7xx enabled - so even those make very capable 4K transcoding emby servers although personally, I would spend the extra and get the i3.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'd probably end up getting an I5, not because emby will use it, but just because of the number of times I've built an I3 system and used it for a few months before expanding its use case and buying an I5 for it anyway.  

Right now all of the cheap intel SFFs systems coming off lease are all i5-6500s with UHD 630s and gigabit networking, which is better than what I have now, but not enough to justify the time to transition over.  I think I'll probably just pay the extra money and build a 12th/13th gen system from scratch when there is a good combo deal.

• Solution
rbjtech
11 hours ago, hooraah said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'd probably end up getting an I5, not because emby will use it, but just because of the number of times I've built an I3 system and used it for a few months before expanding its use case and buying an I5 for it anyway.  

Right now all of the cheap intel SFFs systems coming off lease are all i5-6500s with UHD 630s and gigabit networking, which is better than what I have now, but not enough to justify the time to transition over.  I think I'll probably just pay the extra money and build a 12th/13th gen system from scratch when there is a good combo deal.

Agreed - I would also go for a 12th Gen system or better.

ps - The 6500's will have the UHD530 igpu - which is capable of maybe 1 x 4K transcode only - the UHD6xx will be 2-3 x 4K but the UHD7xx is 6-8 x 4K.   

• Like 1