No vob subtitles on android tv

BobiderBob
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

BobiderBob

I tried to watch a lot of different videos with vobsubtitles and well, they don't show. On the dashboard it says direct play for the stream video and audio, when i stream on my firefox it burns the subtitles in and I see them after a few minutes.

I sent log at 8:11 eastern time on user root

watching on nvidia shield tv pro

Edited by BobiderBob

BobiderBob

Hey,

I tried this, also didn't work. It doesn't work on my phone either though. It works on Android TV with mx player, but then I basically loose all features.

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, BobiderBob said:

Hey,

I tried this, also didn't work. It doesn't work on my phone either though. It works on Android TV with mx player, but then I basically loose all features.

Thanks in advance

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

On 2/3/2023 at 4:28 AM, BobiderBob said:

@BobiderBob are the subtitle selected in the video player? Did you try clicking the CC button in the video player to enable them?

4 minutes ago, BobiderBob said:

yes, I had them activated. and it's the same for all of my movies and shows

What exactly did you activate? Can you please go over one specific example? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
bigcookie

I have the same problem for MKVs ripped from DVDs. The DVD subtitles (DVDSUB) are selectable and not showing on Android TV Emby app. Web player shows them without problems...

Will check, if I can provide logs as well (need to work this out when I have time). I tried multiple movies... SRTs are playing fine, but embedded ones (done with Handbrake from DVDs) are not. 

But I am still running  4.7.9.0 - will update and provide more information

Edited by bigcookie

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, bigcookie said:

I have the same problem for MKVs ripped from DVDs. The DVD subtitles (DVDSUB) are selectable and not showing on Android TV Emby app. Web player shows them without problems...

Will check, if I can provide logs as well (need to work this out when I have time). I tried multiple movies... SRTs are playing fine, but embedded ones (done with Handbrake from DVDs) are not. 

But I am still running  4.7.9.0 - will update and provide more information

Just for reference, having no issues with DVDSUBs on 4.7.11.0/2.0.87g, tested on multiple items following your post. 

• Thanks 1

bigcookie

Ok, I found out, that only a few files are affected. FireTV Emby shows the subtitles but when selected, no subtitle is shown. If I add an external SRT subtitle, both subtitles are shown, but the SRT one is always played back (not the DVDSUB)...
The last DVDs I merged into a mp4 file with embedded subtitles. The others were MKVs. Probably something wrong with the mp4s... Need to check further.

Web display via Emby web player works fine in all cases.

Edited by bigcookie

bigcookie

Ok, I more findings - and I have a solution:

When playing back, the DVDSUB subtitle was selected but not played back. Then I got to the cog wheelwhile doing the playback and selected "there are problems with sound and image". From that moment on selecting and playing back of DVDSUB worked. but SRT stopped working. Or the other way around when doing the same procedure again. Sometimes both worked directly after this process, but when re-starting playback, the issue was back

I reencoded with the same parameters as MKV instead of MP4 - and now it works seemlessly...

So I am fine now... 🙂

Regards,

André

• Solution

OK now that you mention that, I didn't think mp4 supported dvdsub.

Just because handbrake lets you do it doesn't mean that various video players across devices are going to be able to handle it very well. I think that is probably what's happening with the android video player. The player we're using (exoplayer), has probably only been built to handle mov_text within mp4.

bigcookie

Thanks - for me it's solved. I didnt find details in expolayer documentation, but in some topics on this have been discussed in the last years. So I think this will not change in the near future 🙂

• Thanks 1