Roku Streaming Quality Issues

Tyson454308
Go to solution Solved by Tyson454308,

Tyson454308

Hello,

I'm having trouble with Roku Premiere+ playback on a 4K UHD MKV of the Hobbit. At 40mb/s it is washed out with light contrast, but at 60mb/a it’s perfect quality. However, it frequently has to stop and load. I’m using gigabit wifi with T-Mobile internet. Do I need to upgrade to the Ultra to make the playback loading stop? Just trying to figure out the bottleneck and I think it’s in the Roku Premiere. Thanks!

GrimReaper

Hey up,

exact example will be needed like details of the media you're trying to play together with server log (and ffmpeg log(s) if created). 

Tyson454308

It is a makemkv of my ultra hd Hobbit Unexpected Journey and I will try to figure out how to acquire a log. Is there a good spot for education on that?

Play the video on your Roku. While the video is playing press down on your Roku remote. Find the cog/gear and press it. Choose the "Stats for nerds" option and click it so it shows YES. A panel will appear on the screen afterwards showing what is occuring during playback. What does the stats for nerds panel on your Roku show?

Tyson454308

Stream: MKV (60mps) HLS (60mps 45fps) throttling converting audio to compatible codec

Video: 4K HEVC HDR10 direct play (53.41mbs) dropped frames 2

Audio: English TrueHD 7.1 default, transcode ac3 5.1 384 Kps

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Tyson454308 said:

At 40mb/s it is washed out with light contrast, but at 60mb/a it’s perfect quality.

Because on 40Mbps server is transcoding and you likely don't have tonemapping enabled so your HDR aint tonemapped properly to SDR (Settings>Transcoding>scroll all the way down> "Enable HDR tone mapping" field), while at 60Mbps your item is DirectPlaying (retaining HDR) but your connection/network/device might be choking.

Tyson454308

Ok that's what I was afraid of.  I will change the transcoding option, thanks for the help on that.  I will try to figure out what the bottle neck is on the network speed and will consider an ethernet option, though it isn't ideal in my set up from a different room. 

Edit: would disabling throttling help?

Edited by Tyson454308

• Solution
Tyson454308

Ran an Ethernet cable and it plays perfectly at 110mps so it’s somewhere in my wifi connection. I will look closer at my wifi connection speed between my computer and the TMobile router and the connection speed between the router and the Roku. Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Tyson454308

Too right tedfroop... No matter what I changed, the wifi simply wouldn't keep up.  I was able to achieve full 4k with a wired connection that ran from the computer to a wifi switch and directly to the roku ultra.

tedfroop
On 28/03/2023 at 21:20, Tyson454308 said:

Too right tedfroop... No matter what I changed, the wifi simply wouldn't keep up.  I was able to achieve full 4k with a wired connection that ran from the computer to a wifi switch and directly to the roku ultra.

ALL networking is a bit of a black art.  I'm all for using wifi for portable devices for convenience. But when you need consistent data transfer - wired is the way to go.