Emby suddenly unresponsive/not loading

PrincessPie
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

PrincessPie

Hi all

I installed Emby (Windows 11) yesterday, and last night and this morning it was working great. But this afternoon, it just quit. It will function correctly about 1 out of 25 times, but mostly what it's doing is loading with my libraries across the top of the screen, and none of the content below that. No matter what I click on, nothing happens. I've double-checked everything I can think of, and removed plug-ins I don't need. I've opened the ports in my firewall as instructed. Will post the logs when I know which log file to share. It's the same across my browser on Windows, Roku, Xbox Series X, Android phone app/browser. I've checked that the server is running and have rebooted the computer so many times. The only thing I can think of that might be wrong is there is a pending update on Windows that I've been trying to install all day. 

20230127_200611.jpg

20230127_200604.jpg

embyserver.txt

Edited by PrincessPie
Additional info

Hello PrincessPie,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rbjtech

Hi..

There appears to be some huge delays in responding to the clients.

Start up looks ok - but this suggests it's network related.

Are you using wireless for both emby server and the clients ?

image.png.361693d5b67f11112de9b52889e1125e.png

PrincessPie
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Are you using wireless for both emby server and the clients ?

Yes. Unfortunately everything except my old Xbox 360 is wireless because the router only has one plug for a wired connection. Can't replace the router because our ISP is a WISP and there's a lot of fancy positioning required/my ISP does not offer another router. 

• Solution

Hi, can you try increasing the database cache size option in server database settings, then restart the server and see if that helps? Thanks.

PrincessPie
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you try increasing the database cache size option in server database settings, then restart the server and see if that helps? Thanks.

Okay, I played with that I bit and after some Googling, and the fact I only have 8gigs of RAM, I set the database cache to 768 megs and it is much, much more responsive! I think we're gonna call this solved! Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
Just now, PrincessPie said:

Okay, I played with that I bit and after some Googling, and the fact I only have 8gigs of RAM, I set the database cache to 768 megs and it is much, much more responsive! I think we're gonna call this solved! Thank you!

Yes the default value can affect things like this, but really depends on db size.

What size is your library.db?  If possible we recommend 1.5 to 2 times its size. 

Also when was the last time you vacuumed the database as it should reduce your db size?

PrincessPie
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes the default value can affect things like this, but really depends on db size.

What size is your library.db?  If possible we recommend 1.5 to 2 times its size. 

Also when was the last time you vacuumed the database as it should reduce your db size?

The database is 294 megs... took me a few minutes to find it! I haven't vacuumed it, I just installed Emby about 36 hours ago. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, PrincessPie said:

The database is 294 megs... took me a few minutes to find it! I haven't vacuumed it, I just installed Emby about 36 hours ago. 

You should be set with the value you chose for a while then.  And with that new of a install you will not likely see any or much change with vacuum then.

rbjtech
9 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@Luke @Happy2Play

Thanks guys for following up on this.  UK timezone wasn't good for my follow up.

--

The database cache size appears to have been the resolution for a lot of recent posts / issues.

Is this something that should maybe be increased on the default install - or ideally, dynamically increases on the number of records / db size ?

I had a quick look in the Emby Knowledge Base - and it's not mentioned ?

Maybe @cayars could add something along the lines of if you have the memory, then 1.5 - 2x the library.db filesize is recommended for optimum performance in the meantime ?

Probably more like 100% of the database size rounded up.  Once the DB fits in memory you don't gain anything going higher until the database grows and needs more memory to run in place.  The upper limit is 1 GB so if you have memory to spare you can just set it to 1024 and let it use whatever it needs.

I hesitate to add recommendations based on db file size as users on a NAS would likely have to SSH into the box, navigate to the proper place to look at the file size which will be present new issues. :)

I think the best method might be to get Luke to add a couple little things to the log which I could document that would make this much simpler to adjust.

@Luke could you add the current library.db file size to the log during start up?
Then add a line to suggest raising the db memory limit to the next higher multiple of 128 or 256 if db size is larger then current setting.

Carlo

• Thanks 1