Different libraries with different genres?

francoisp
Go to solution Solved by Ronstang,

francoisp

I own Emby Premiere and I use it mostly to listen to music. I would like to know if it is possible to create multiple libraries with a different set of genres. For example one library would have only classical and jazz content and a second one would have everything else. I have created two libraries but I can't figure out how to exclude songs that belong to a genre. Currently all songs are located on one hard disk organized by artists/albums/tracks. I'm trying to avoid reorganizing them.

Edited by francoisp

francoisp

No suggestion? I looked at deleting the songs from the genres I want to exclude but I got a warning this will also remove them from my hard drive.

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, francoisp said:

I looked at deleting the songs from the genres I want to exclude but I got a warning this will also remove them from my hard drive.

Correct that will DELETE the file not remove from Emby.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, francoisp said:

I have created two libraries but I can't figure out how to exclude songs that belong to a genre.

Well libraries are not genres but I would think your only option would be tag the track and set parental controls tag restrictions on the user.

francoisp

The idea of using parental controls is interesting however because I mostly listen to my music using a Google TV device it would be annoying to have to switch account. Switching libraries is easier. 

I think I'll create additional music directories to keep my jazz and classical music apart and build my emby libraries using the desired directories.

• Solution
Ronstang
4 hours ago, francoisp said:

I think I'll create additional music directories to keep my jazz and classical music apart and build my emby libraries using the desired directories.

That is what I was going to suggest, but if your tags are good and accurate why can't you just sort by genre when time to play or make playlists that separate your content on how you like to listen to it?

francoisp
7 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

... but if your tags are good and accurate why can't you just sort by genre when time to play ...

I usually play music at random, sometimes within a genre, sometimes regardless of the genre, depending on my mood. But what I don't enjoy is to listen to classical music at random.

I'll look at playlists. I've never created one in Emby. Is it done within Emby or using an external application and imported in Emby?

Ronstang

I've never created a Playlist in emby so don't know that but Playlists are usually just a list of files so if their location doesn't change in the old days they were usually playable in any  music playing app regardless of where they were created  so that may be true in emby too or not....someone else with more knowledge will have to answer that. I guess that is going to depend upon whether emby uses location or database info to create and play them.

francoisp
5 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I've never created a Playlist in emby so don't know that but Playlists are usually just a list of files so if their location doesn't change in the old days they were usually playable in any  music playing app regardless of where they were created  so that may be true in emby too or not....someone else with more knowledge will have to answer that. I guess that is going to depend upon whether emby uses location or database info to create and play them.

Thank you for the suggestion. Creating a playlist using genre was straightforward. 

Ronstang
9 hours ago, francoisp said:

I usually play music at random

Now I haven't used emby for music but most all players I have used with a playlist has an option to randomize the playlist upon playback or play in order so now that you have playlists see if yo can play it random.....then you'll really be all set.