EMBY playback issue in Fire stick

rubicon
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

rubicon

Hi all, I hope you are well!

I have been using the normal Fire TV stick and the 4K one (when I upgraded to that) with EMBY years with no issues at all.

All of the sudden, through the EMBY app (the one you can download directly on Fire TV Stick's AppStore) I cannot play any video without it lagging every 5 - 10 seconds.

Really horrible playback. Within the same Wireless network and when I use my iMac's browser or iPhone app or iPad, no issue at all.

Even when I connect through my phone using 4G.

All my videos have always been mp4 with aac audio and using direct play.

Definitely not a network issue so I am leaning to either a problematic update that my Fire TV Stick had or a problematic version of the EMBY app in the Fire TV's AppStore.

I deleted the app, re-installed, rebooted Fire TV, router, nothing worked.

So can I somehow use a direct APK if that is the issue through here: https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html and what version would I need?

Tried the arm7 version but my Fire TV Stick did not like it.

Naturally I have already unlocked apps from 3d parties within the Fire TV's settings (I am also using Retroarch).

Any help will be great appreciated as using EMBY app with my Fire TV Stick is (or was at least) my number 1 preferred method.

Thanks in advance!

rbjtech
2 hours ago, rubicon said:

Definitely not a network issue so I am leaning to either a problematic update that my Fire TV Stick had or a problematic version of the EMBY app in the Fire TV's AppStore.

Odd that it's only effecting the FireTV's though - and without an update to the App, from an emby perspective, nothing has changed - so I would actually suspect a network issue on the FireTV's.

Did you check the fireTv network settings - is it still using the correct SSID and Wifi Connection - it's possibly moved from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz - meaning your signal strength may have dropped.

I would check this out first if other devices are working just fine.

btw - I use almost all models of FireTV myself (other than the latest Cube) and eveything works great - so don't suspect it's a FireTV/Emby combo issue.

Edited by rbjtech

rubicon

Hi both and thank you for the quick reply!

I have sent the log directly within the emby app on Fire TV with a video I have played back 10 -15 minutes ago.

I don't know how you can access that, you need the server name and user for example that was connected?

I don't understand how it is a network issue though when it was working fine all this time and nothing has changed on my end.

Wouldn't that affect ALL other devices I mentioned above that sit on the same network?

It's just the Fire TV stick that has the issues...

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, rubicon said:

Wouldn't that affect ALL other devices I mentioned above that sit on the same network?

It's just the Fire TV stick that has the issues...

Not necessarily -  the FiretV's share network settings with Amazon (if you opt to do so - makes the FireTV setup easier) - so it's possible the network configuration on the FireTV needs checking.

In the FireTV settings - go to 'Network' and ensure it matches the other working devices.

• Solution
rbjtech

I would also sideload the latest AMAZON AndroidTV from here - as just re-reading your first post - you may have loaded the google/android version - not the FireTV version ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rubicon

I will try both and let you know how it goes!

Network settings look ok so I will check the version in the post above.

thanks again :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rubicon said:

I cannot play any video

Hi.  How many videos did you try?  Did you try ones you are sure played well in the past?

Is the test you sent the log for a Dolby Vision item?

rubicon

No, it was another video I did the testing but sideloading the app as you have suggested did the trick!!

Maybe it was a combination of things as I did tweak a lot of settings to be fair, but I think they wouldn't make much difference without the latest version of the app.

I appreciate all your help, EMBY team as always is fantastic!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1