Audio Software decode

lstryhrn
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

lstryhrn

So I notice every 4k HDR file that I play, the Emby app software decode the audio it. It never happens on 1080p files.  I have a shield pro which can handle alot of audio formats. How can I get it to direct play my audio?  I attached a server log. I am not for sure that will do any good because the server is saying direct play but in the stat for nerd option on the app it says software decode. I know sometimes I have trouble with TRUEHD but other formats are software decoding as well. Maybe its normal. 

embyserver.txt

lstryhrn
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Are talking about the stats for nerds? Yes thats how I know the audio is decoding. Everything else is direct playing. On the server its says that the audio is direct playing. 

lstryhrn
1 hour ago, lstryhrn said:

Its hooked up to a Samsung 4k tv

Most TVs will not pass HD audio.  Yours appears to only support DD and DD+ so other audio formats will decode in the app.

If you have a receiver capable of processing more audio formats, hook the Shield to the receiver and then the TV to the Receiver output.

lstryhrn
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Most TVs will not pass HD audio.  Yours appears to only support DD and DD+ so other audio formats will decode in the app.

If you have a receiver capable of processing more audio formats, hook the Shield to the receiver and then the TV to the Receiver output.

Its amazing how all of these media apps work. So Plex HD passthrough is a load of bs? I ask because I only transcode audio with TRUEHD on there when I use to use it. Everything else direct plays

14 hours ago, lstryhrn said:

So Plex HD passthrough is a load of bs?

They are very likely doing the same thing we are but just don't indicate it the same.  Ours is direct playing too.

lstryhrn
17 hours ago, ebr said:

They are very likely doing the same thing we are but just don't indicate it the same.  Ours is direct playing too.

So you mention my tv only support DD and DD+ which you are correct but when I play the DD format it still say software decode. The audio is set to DD right now on my tv. 

rbjtech

I believe it's incorrect - if it says Direct Playing, then ffmpeg is not involved.  It should say 'Direct' the same as the video section does...

8 hours ago, lstryhrn said:

The audio is set to DD right now on my tv

That is telling the TV to convert everything to DD, I believe.  Is there an "Auto" setting?

37 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I believe it's incorrect - if it says Direct Playing, then ffmpeg is not involved

It is correct.  The app has ffmpeg built into it to decode audio.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It is correct.  The app has ffmpeg built into it to decode audio.

ah right - my apologies - didn't realise ffmpeg IS involved but inside the App itself, client side - not server side.   Thanks.

lstryhrn
1 hour ago, ebr said:

That is telling the TV to convert everything to DD, I believe.  Is there an "Auto" setting?

I think it switches back and forth. If DD or DD+ is not playing it goes back to the PCM.  Please look at the attached pictures. This is why Im confused. If the video is 1080p it direct play the audio.  When I play 4K it software decodes the audio as you can see. My tv supports DD and DD+

Image.jpeg

Image1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, lstryhrn said:

Thanks, I sent a log to you guys. 

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

lstryhrn
2 minutes ago, Luke said:
  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Should I create a new forum or can I just put all of the info here?

lstryhrn

Playing a 4K remux movie are my  Shield TV. The name of the movie is called Alita: Battle Angel. Software decoding is on even though my TV support DD and DD +. This only happens with 4K DD and DD +. 1080P direct plays the audio for DD DD+

4K Logs 2:46  PM EST  -- this is the log I am reporting about- This software decodes 

1080p logs 2:51 PM EST -- This is the log that works with the same audio as the 4K. It direct plays

The name of the user is Joshua

Edited by lstryhrn

14 minutes ago, lstryhrn said:

4K Logs 2:46  PM EST  -- this is the log I am reporting about- This software decodes 

Hi.  The track selected in this log was True HD and, therefore, is being decoded by the app.  It doesn't appear to match up with the stats image above but, maybe it is only reporting it as "Dolby" instead of TrueHD for some reason.

lstryhrn
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The track selected in this log was True HD and, therefore, is being decoded by the app.  It doesn't appear to match up with the stats image above but, maybe it is only reporting it as "Dolby" instead of TrueHD for some reason.

Thats clearly not correct at all unless the audio selection doesnt work in the  Emby app. TRUEHD is the default audio for that file but I change it when I played it. I just  sent another report at 3:58 EST time. Can you please check that log. I also included a screenshot of the stat

IMG_0577.jpg

• Solution

Hi.  I can see you switching back and forth on the audio tracks in the log.  When the True HD one is selected, it is decoding.  When the DD+ one is selected, it is bitstreaming it.  The stats may just not be updating quickly enough.

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

lstryhrn
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I can see you switching back and forth on the audio tracks in the log.  When the True HD one is selected, it is decoding.  When the DD+ one is selected, it is bitstreaming it.  The stats may just not be updating quickly enough.

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

So I just side loaded the app and everything says direct play. Even on TRUEHD... Is this a beta app? Why is it different than the google plays store app?