Static IP Address at server, question..

Mendocinotim
Go to solution Solved by Mendocinotim,

Mendocinotim

I am considering maybe assigning a fixed (Static) IP to my server.

The reason for this is to allow my Remote (WAN) access users 'access, without their being required to update there login passwords every few months. Please view the screenshot below - I was not even aware that this was an issue until I received the email shown in the screenshot.
Is this a server requirement or specifically having something to do with the Emby forum?

Based on comments I've found here in your forum regarding this password reset thing, I'm under the impression that this might be avoidable so long as the Emby server is hosted on a machine with a fixed IP.
Is this so?  Please advise on this.

Second.. If I set up the server with a fixed IP, how do I set Emby server to leverage it.
I have searched the forum here for a tutorial on this, but to no avail.
Please advise on this as well.

Much appreciated!

2023-01-20_11-36-25.jpg

Happy2Play

Correect if you have a fixed IP from your ISP, or you have your own domain name you would have no need for the Optional Connect method.  Since I have my own domain name I don't bother with Connect.

But in reality, I think the forum should have an expiration policy on all Accounts that would force users to update their passwords as Connect/Forum are the exact same account.  But the biggest issue here is dual purpose accounts.

In the end you have accounts that are decades old and potentially the same email and password across multiple sites and have been breached via other sites meaning their account is used by those wonderful spammers creating issues via the forum and technically can play media via your server if the account they breached is connected to your server.

16 minutes ago, Mendocinotim said:

Second.. If I set up the server with a fixed IP, how do I set Emby server to leverage it.

External WAN Address

Mendocinotim
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Thank you for explaining this to me.
However, the "External WAN Address" page does not explain, nor does it even mention the use of Static IP implementation on the server.  Is there any info that explains how to specifically set up a server on a machine that has an ISP provided fixed IP address assigned to it?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Mendocinotim said:

Thank you for explaining this to me.
However, the "External WAN Address" page does not explain, nor does it even mention the use of Static IP implementation on the server.  Is there any info that explains how to specifically set up a server on a machine that has an ISP provided fixed IP address assigned to it?

Technically if you have a static external ip address the server should see it by default and you have to do nothing as it is already seen.  You only have to apply something in that field if the server is seeing something different like say you are running a VPN the server will not properly see your true wan address.

Mendocinotim

Sorry, when you say "You only have to apply something in that field", what field are you referring to?
Perhaps you can show me with a screenshot..?

Happy2Play
49 minutes ago, Mendocinotim said:

Sorry, when you say "You only have to apply something in that field", what field are you referring to?
Perhaps you can show me with a screenshot..?

The link above already did but here

image.png.211fba58001c6903f5a6ef8b15b062e6.png

• Thanks 1