Live TV pause/rewind data location

PristDean

PristDean

Hi

When you pause live TV, or rewind live TV before fast forwarding back to live..... where is that data stored to enable you to do this ?

I suspect that it may be the 'Transcoding Temporary Path'. But when I moved the location from attached SSD drive to internal storage on my NVIdia Shield, the Shield lost it's 7Gb of free space quickly and eventually locked up.

If If switch the transcoding path back to SSD again, no more message from the Shield, but performing the pause / rewind on live TV lags badly and locks. I have USB performance set to 'Max'

PristDean

Thanks, so how much space does this take up?  when watching live tv with the path aimed at my NVidia Shield, all free 7Gb of space was taken up after approx 2 hours of watching live TV, Is that expected ?  If so, is there no clear down of data after an hour or so ?, if not it appears the data could just grow and grow until you exit from a stream or run out of disk space

Edited by PristDean

7 hours ago, PristDean said:

Thanks, so how much space does this take up?  when watching live tv with the path aimed at my NVidia Shield, all free 7Gb of space was taken up after approx 2 hours of watching live TV, Is that expected ?  If so, is there no clear down of data after an hour or so ?, if not it appears the data could just grow and grow until you exit from a stream or run out of disk space

Live TV can take a lot, and currently it will keep going until the disk runs out of space if you don't stop the live stream.

We will be improving this in upcoming updates to store that buffer in smaller slices so that we can delete them over time throughout your stream. That will prevent this from happening.

PristDean

Okay, thanks. This is a real bug bear within an otherwise excellent system.  Looking forward to the release, hopefully soon.

EODCrafter
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Live TV can take a lot, and currently it will keep going until the disk runs out of space if you don't stop the live stream.

We will be improving this in upcoming updates to store that buffer in smaller slices so that we can delete them over time throughout your stream. That will prevent this from happening.

Please add a option to completely disable this if we like.

PristDean
2 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Please add a option to completely disable this if we like.

When you say disable it, do you mean disable the ability to pause, rewind and forward live TV ?.....  if so you can do this via 'Application Settings' - 'Live TV' - 'Direct Play Live TV' and enable. From within the application.

EODCrafter
17 minutes ago, PristDean said:

When you say disable it, do you mean disable the ability to pause, rewind and forward live TV ?.....  if so you can do this via 'Application Settings' - 'Live TV' - 'Direct Play Live TV' and enable. From within the application.

No, it still fills up Tran-Temp with Gigabytes of data from live TV. I want to disable anything that is in there.

PristDean
5 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

No, it still fills up Tran-Temp with Gigabytes of data from live TV. I want to disable anything that is in there.

Wow, I thought direct playing live TV would have no requirement to store any live TV data data... looks like I was wrong then, haven't tested it though

EODCrafter
12 hours ago, PristDean said:

Wow, I thought direct playing live TV would have no requirement to store any live TV data data... looks like I was wrong then, haven't tested it though

Emby works really good on Free Tier Amazon EC2 Micro with the 1 exception of the data filling up the HDD. That's how I found out.

• 9 months later...
mwongjay
On 1/22/2023 at 11:31 PM, Luke said:

@LukeIs this expected to be in 4.8?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
mwongjay
On 1/22/2023 at 11:31 PM, Luke said:

@LukeDo you know where this is on the roadmap?

• Haha 1