Can’t set rate above 120Mbps

swallman

swallman

As the title says, the max rate you can set in the app is 120. ATV app has a setting for 1000

I have some personal content over 120 so would like to be able to not have it transcode. 

swallman
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you playing on the same local network as the server?

Yes I am. Although I also have gigabit Internet so theoretically I should be able to stream those files remotely as well (although pretty rare lol). 

pir8radio

what bitrate setting, gear while video is playing or max bitrate setting in app settings?

Edited by pir8radio

swallman
7 hours ago, pir8radio said:

what bitrate setting, gear while video is playing or max bitrate setting in app settings?

If I leave everything on Auto as Luke has suggested, when playing Stats for Nerds indicates the video is bate-rate limited (so is transcoding). Also the setting while playing the video says Auto 4K 120 Mbps. 

Even though I can easily get over 350 sitting right next to the router. I have a feeling the app never checks for higher speeds and just maxes out at 120.

swallman

The issue appears to be that setting it to "Auto" still has a max of 120/140 Mbps that it will detect.  The only app that handles it properly is the ATV app (and that's because you can manually set it to 1000 Mbps).

pir8radio
6 hours ago, swallman said:

The issue appears to be that setting it to "Auto" still has a max of 120/140 Mbps that it will detect.  The only app that handles it properly is the ATV app (and that's because you can manually set it to 1000 Mbps).

keep in mind most of the settings i see, differ based on video.. for example the web interface..  wont let you set to 120 if the video is only encoded at 4mbps it only shows 4mbps as the highest.    that is not what is happening here right?

Edited by pir8radio

swallman
7 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

keep in mind most of the settings i see, differ based on video.. for example the web interface..  wont let you set to 120 if the video is only encoded at 4mbps it only shows 4mbps as the highest.    that is not what is happening here right?

Correct, that is not what is happening here.  I actually stumbled on it in trying to troubleshoot some networking issues and downloaded some very high rate (200+ Mbps) sample videos to "push things to the limit".  Since they are higher than what Auto calculates (and you can't set it higher than 120, except in the ATV app), then they just transcode.

pir8radio
7 hours ago, swallman said:

Correct, that is not what is happening here.  I actually stumbled on it in trying to troubleshoot some networking issues and downloaded some very high rate (200+ Mbps) sample videos to "push things to the limit".  Since they are higher than what Auto calculates (and you can't set it higher than 120, except in the ATV app), then they just transcode.

ok,   just wanted to make sure that was not the case..  guess i need to test on my ios app, i have not used it in so long.. 🙂  

• 2 weeks later...

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !

swallman
9 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !

I see you can go up to 160 now, but any reason why not have a 1000 Mbps setting (like in the ATV app)?  Still makes my 200+ videos transcode.

Thanks.

swallman
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you experiencing a problem?

As I stated up above....I have some personal videos with higher bit rates that start to transcode (even though they can direct play)...and it's just because the player doesn't think it can go higher than 160.  I've been able to play 300+ Mbps with the ATV player (since it has a setting of 1000).

Thanks.

2 hours ago, swallman said:

As I stated up above....I have some personal videos with higher bit rates that start to transcode (even though they can direct play)...and it's just because the player doesn't think it can go higher than 160.  I've been able to play 300+ Mbps with the ATV player (since it has a setting of 1000).

Thanks.

On the local network that's not going to happen if you set the quality setting to Auto.

swallman
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

On the local network that's not going to happen if you set the quality setting to Auto.

I wish that was the case but it doesn't look like Auto is calculating properly.  I have all set to Auto, on local network, sitting ~3 feet from the router.  Speedtest gives ~350 Mbps download.

However, it appears that the calculation won't go above 140 Mbps.  If I play the same video on ATV app, it Direct Plays (but I do have it set to 1000 Mbps).

I can provide logs if that would help?

image.png.6fd76777c5d3581c80f8eddf641604b9.png

swallman
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Here's the logs from the server when trying to play one of the sample files.  I can see where it says max bitrate setting is 140 Mbps.  I'm assuming there is somewhere in the logs where it tries to calculate true network bandwidth (since I have it set to Auto)?

embyserver.txt