Server Configuration Backup - Library Item Metadata

ginjaninja

ginjaninja
Spoiler

I did some thing very stupid - provide a production service via the beta server and ran into service delivery troubles with stable clients not working with beta server and no beta client available.

Anyways lesson learnt, im reverting to 4.7.11 and rescanning/rebuilding the database before restoring the userdata using @ebr's plugin.

Might it be possible to store the library(metadata) in the backup in such a way that is very version agnostic. Minimising rescanning need after a server rebuild/downgrade (version change) by using the plugin to restore the database after reverting the version before rescanning again.

Perhaps it would rely on the media paths remaining the same (no problem) and an optional check box as it would significant increase size of and time to backup...Either part of the normal schedule or a one time full library backup button would be helpful when intentionally migrating server versions.

The advantage might be more real world testing of the beta version, safe in the knowledge that theres a quick path back if the database structure has changed.

Spoiler

i think i am going to miss the beta functionality on my daily driver 😞

Also people might want to restore other metadata like tags, overviews, people..the sort of things that are manually changed.

thanks for considering

Nick

Hi.  Storing the metadata alongside the media is really the most reliable and portable solution but a more database-oriented backup may be available in the future - with the caveat that this will potentially have version compatibility issues.

• Like 1

ginjaninja
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Storing the metadata alongside the media is really the most reliable and portable solution

good point i should reinvestigate this again

Edited by ginjaninja