Music Compilations

bjhille

I'm a bit embarrassed that I am posting about music compilations seeing as there are many posts describing the exact issue I have, but clearly I'm missing something and I can't figure it out.

Like others have posted, I have several compilation albums that have various artists on them.  When loaded into Emby they are showing as individual albums instead of combined into one.

To start with the basics, this is on a mac running Catalina version 10.15.7, I'm running Emby Server 4.7.11.0, I use mp3tag for Mac as my tag editor, and have researched the forums and read this article (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming) to get me where I am now.  Here is a screenshot of how my music is tagged:1630266977_ScreenShot2023-01-16at10_08_32AM.thumb.png.3cf5b4d8e149b6ae5a7cc38c6ed2d3f2.png

The article stated: *For these types of compilation albums if you want all tracks to show up as a single entity you want to make sure both the "album" and "album artist" fields are the same for all tracks. Otherwise the album will be split up for the various artists listed.*  That's why you see "The Best of Christmas" with the Album and the Album artist being the same.

The posts I saw said you could use "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field instead of the Album name.  That's why you see "Superstars of Christmas" with the Album artist being Various Artists.

When I refresh my media in Emby (I've tried Refresh Media AND Scan Library Files), they still show up as individual albums.

Any thoughts as to what to try next?

Thanks for the help.  Brian

Hi.  That was actually an album, not a track, correct?  Please look at the Artist and Album Artist values on one of the tracks.

This is what I believe you're looking for and it does explain it!1972502573_ScreenShot2023-01-16at11_11_13AM.thumb.png.f923287ae57069d98e3786f421feebf7.png

I guess what I don't understand is why when I refreshed the media it isn't picking up the new tag?  Do I need to remove the albums and re-add?  I would have thought that either refreshing the media or re-scaning would have picked up the changes.

1 hour ago, bjhille said:

Never mind.  I have it sorted now.  Thanks for the help!

What was the issue?  Hidden tags in the media?