Folder with only one film doesn't show

Roland.Stranneborn

Roland.Stranneborn

Hi, I think I reported this bug before and it was fixed if I remember right. I'm running 4.7.8.0. If I have a folder (and I use Folder view) with just one movie, it doesn't show up, even after a manual refresh. If I add one more then it shows. Looks like a small programming bug.

Roland.Stranneborn
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please provide an example? Thanks.

Hi, 1) I've updated to 4.7.11.0, same problem.

2) Very easy to reproduce, just create a subfolder with this content:

Folder.jpg

MyMovie (2023).mp4

MyMovie (2023).jpg

Then look at the mother folder with Folder view. You can't see the subfolder above. If you search for MyMovie it's not found either. Then add a 2nd movie, then suddenly the subfolder is visible.

Edited by Roland.Stranneborn

Happy2Play

Still don't follow, but you are saying if you put two movies here, they appear?

Roland.Stranneborn
13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Still don't follow, but you are saying if you put two movies here, they appear?

Yes they appear. I'm not sure what's unclear? It's so easy to reproduce, won't even take 1 minute.

Happy2Play
27 minutes ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

Yes they appear. I'm not sure what's unclear? It's so easy to reproduce, won't even take 1 minute.

Some of what you are saying is normal as the server collapses items.  But adding a library, a subfolder with a movie and images still shows (no subfolder).  And the item takes the moviename.jpg.

Global system.xml overrides library options.xml

<CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders>

Per library options.xml

<CollapseSingleItemFolders>true</CollapseSingleItemFolders>

If your item does not appear then you have other issues somewhere.

An exact example to include folder names would help.

Note if you do change these settings it is destructive and the library is nuked and rebuilt.

My test

Created a library pointing to a folder called Parent

created a subfolder callted TEST

Placed a folder.jpg, "this is a test.jpg" and "this is a test.mkv"

Item appeared collapsed in Folder view showing the "this is a test.jpg"

Shutdow server

Changed my system.xml to false and options.xml to false

Started server and did library scan

Folder view showed subfolder showing folder.jpg image.

Enter subfolder show item with "this is a test.jpg"

Roland.Stranneborn

So you're saying this is normal, due to an XML setting? To me it's very illogical. I have put in a subfolder deliberately I'd expect to find it. Is it also "normal" that the movie isn't found when you do a search? Did you try that?

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

So you're saying this is normal, due to an XML setting? To me it's very illogical. I have put in a subfolder deliberately I'd expect to find it. Is it also "normal" that the movie isn't found when you do a search? Did you try that?

I cannot reproduce adding a subfolder with item and it not showing up at all.  So the question is how do you add a item and it not appear as I can't without applying restriction but that can't be the case if added another item makes them appear.

The item will show as subfolder name with default settings or item name with changed settings, but appears either way.

The CollapseVideoFolder/CollapseSingleItemFolders has been there for years and by design.  I doubt platform is relevant, but I guess anything is possible.

Edited by Happy2Play

Roland.Stranneborn
17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I cannot reproduce adding a subfolder with item and it not showing up at all.  So the question is how do you add a item and it not appear as I can't without applying restriction but that can't be the case if added another item makes them appear.

The item will show as subfolder name with default settings or item name with changed settings, but appears either way.

The CollapseVideoFolder/CollapseSingleItemFolders has been there for years and by design.  I doubt platform is relevant, but I guess anything is possible.

Hi, I use Win10 Explorer to add subfolders and movies in shared folders, it has worked nicely, but with this one exception: A subfolder with just one movie doesn't show, but it will show if I add another. How can I visualize this for you?.

Happy2Play

Depending on the Collapse option I get one or the other.

image.png.5d178f0eecb3bf24bf1226dd368158f8.png

image.png.9aac3baa9517b13e828b28739c1b0a34.png

Collapse both false

image.png.ebfab6307142c5e924ef636c61375806.png

image.png

Roland.Stranneborn

If you go one level up, i.e. how does it look from the "mother folder"? That's where my single-movie folder is missing in Folder view.

Roland.Stranneborn

Here's an example with just one film in a subfolder, first in Win10 Explorer and then Emby's view.  The __2023 subfoler is missing. Then I add one more film, now the __2023 subfolder shows up in Emby:

image.thumb.jpeg.52f185a4865e2114cd9ef9f8994f79e6.jpeg

Emby 2.jpg

Emby 3.jpg

Emby 4.jpg

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

Here's an example with just one film in a subfolder, first in Win10 Explorer and then Emby's view.  The __2023 subfoler is missing.

image.thumb.jpeg.52f185a4865e2114cd9ef9f8994f79e6.jpeg

Emby 2.jpg

Does Puss in Boots The Last Wish show down the list between those 313 items?

Roland.Stranneborn
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Does Puss in Boots The Last Wish show down the list between those 313 items?

No, it doesn't show up in the list of movies and if I use the search function it doesn't show up either, when it's the only film in a folder.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

No, it doesn't show up in the list of movies and if I use the search function it doesn't show up either, when it's the only film in a folder.

Have you tried putting that PiBTLW movie and it's files in its own movie folder beneath?

Roland.Stranneborn
9 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Have you tried putting that PiBTLW movie and it's files in its own movie folder beneath?

Not sure if I understand, beneath what? In the example it is in its own movie folder until I added another movie.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

Not sure if I understand, beneath what? In the example it is in its own movie folder until I added another movie.

\English Kids
	\_2023
		\Puss in Boots The Last Wish (2022)
			\Puss in Boots The Last Wish (2022).jpg
			\Puss in Boots The Last Wish (2022).mkv
			\Puss in Boots The Last Wish (2022).srt

GrimReaper

image.png.86b169f7cabba1346bc22035e9ced919.png

image.png.e2caa93f4fa45a4816fe28cba4c80ffa.png

image.png.ef1f9ab68876e24009ddc3812bd64e06.png

image.thumb.png.4088514deecacf873656a8ae3de0a3e3.png

image.thumb.png.4fccf75d60be4cf67125c8a5eb01bcad.png

What's happening is that Emby is interpreting your "_2023" folder as a movie folder - as it should as there's a single movie inside. Once you add another movie, it becomes multi-movie folder and is presented as such. Or if you have single movie folder beneath, it will also be recognized. You need to adjust your folder structure.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Roland.Stranneborn

Yes, if I put the film in its own folder under __2023 then the __2023 folder is visible in the "mother folder" (English Kids) and the movie is shown if I click on the __2023 folder. It is also searchable. image.thumb.jpeg.f0d0c184022281f3d244e12493ddaa5a.jpeg

Roland.Stranneborn

I hope this is recognized for what it is: a bug! Yes, there is a circumvention, but Emby's behavior shouldn't be different for 1 movie in a folder vs 2-n movies.

GrimReaper
23 minutes ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

there is a circumvention

It is not a circumvention but a recommended structure as per KB article, with each movie in in its own folder. 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

23 minutes ago, Roland.Stranneborn said:

Emby's behavior shouldn't be different for 1 movie in a folder vs 2-n movies

Sure it should, as that is the difference between a movie folder and a multi-movie folder. And as @Happy2Play said above, you can disable collapsing folders in which case you'll get results you're after, can't have them both ways. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Happy2Play said:

Global system.xml overrides library options.xml

<CollapseVideoFolders>true</CollapseVideoFolders>

Per library options.xml

<CollapseSingleItemFolders>true</CollapseSingleItemFolders>

Note if you do change these settings it is destructive and the library is nuked and rebuilt.

Edited by GrimReaper

Roland.Stranneborn

It is not a circumvention but a recommended structure as per KB article, with each movie in in its own folder. 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Sure it should, as that is the difference between a movie folder and a multi-movie folder. And as @Happy2Play said above, you can disable collapsing folders in which case you'll get results you're after, can't have them both ways. 

I disagree. With a movie folder the name of the folder should be the same as the movie. That's not the case here. Why should the movie disappear even from search?

Edit: The usage scenario for this is like what I did, I started a new folder for 2023 movies. The intention isn't to have just one movie over time, but to add new movies when you think it's appropriate. So in the beginning it will be just one movie.