Atmos audio not played as Atmos (at least 7.1 ones)

Nightreaver
Go to solution Solved by Nightreaver,

Nightreaver

Hello, 

as the title sais, I'd like to play 7.1 TrueHD / Atmos. But its not playing properly because of "an issue".
I tried different sources, with 5.1 and 7.1 Atmos, and it seems 5.1 Atmos plays properly.

7.1 Atmos on the other side, seems to get transcoded to 5.1 DD+, so atmos is lost.

I have uploaded the logs to you, via the FireTV app option but attached them as well.

And here is the server log (i removed a big chunk in the middle - hope its still enough)

Atmos itself it working on prime-video app and as 5.1 content (at least the ones i've tested) as mentioned.
I dont understand why 7.1 gets transcoded/software decoded when my 9.2 receiver could do this without losing atmos - I assume.

Edited by Nightreaver

Hi.  As I believe you found, this is related to the underlying audio format.  Unfortunately, the general market is just calling the audio "Atmos" when that is really just a layer on top of the base format.  The streaming services all use DD+ as the base but discs use True HD a lot of the time.  Most devices only support DD+.

• 1 year later...
cahill123

Sorry to revive an older thread but I have a similar but not identical issue I'm trying to understand.

In my case I have multiple 7.1 TrueHD with Atmos files that emby (running on Fire TV Stick 4K - 1st Gen (2018)) doesn't transcode (so far so good).

image.png.a31c1fe1d833de4cfa2548a23d5c8b24.png

The AVR detects this as LPCM 7.1 (no Atmos). Is the Atmos lost in the TRUEHD decode to LPCM? Is there any way around that?

The Fire TV Stick specs (below) supports up to 8 channels but is it the EC3_JOC designation (and the lack of a TRUEHD) the issue?

Would a NVidia Shield allow 7.1 with Atmos or would there be similar problems?

Just trying to understand where the issue is, Thanks in advance.
BTW 1st time posting, long time user. Just discovered the Lifetime Premiere membership and went for it.
-KC

Fire TV Stick 4K - 1st Gen (2018)

• Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC). Up to 48kHz, 8 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit.
  • AC3 (Dolby Digital). Up to 48kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit
  • eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus). Up to 48kHz, 8 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-streaming-media-player.html?v=ftvstick4k

2 hours ago, cahill123 said:

and the lack of a TRUEHD) the issue?

Correct.  The underlying audio format needs to be supported in order to preserve the object layer. 

cahill123

Thanks. Do these specs indicate that the Shield TV Pro will allow Emby to pass TRUEHD 7.1ATMOS? Its an expensive route for an experiment.

image.thumb.png.623e7739a61439626aabb650b58a2f62.png

Edited by cahill123

Yes, the Shield will pass THD as long as the receiving equipment can receive it (and the path to that equipment supports it).

• Agree 1

roaku
1 hour ago, cahill123 said:

Thanks. Do these specs indicate that the Shield TV Pro will allow Emby to pass TRUEHD 7.1ATMOS? Its an expensive route for an experiment.

image.thumb.png.623e7739a61439626aabb650b58a2f62.png

Yes, the Shield will pass TrueHD with Atmos metadata intact to a compatible receiver.

My house is mostly Rokus, but I have a Shield specifically for playback of TrueHD (with and without Atmos) and DTS-HD media and it handles those (and everything else, really) without issue.

rbjtech

To be fully transparent - it 'may' have an issue with 96Khz THD (or it may be the emby client to be fair) - but those tracks are pretty rare, so probably not an issue.

Edited by rbjtech