Add "Always Play SDH subtitle" option under Subtitle Mode

TeijiIshida

TeijiIshida

Please add an option to "Always play SDH Subtitle" under Subtitle Mode. Emby currently always pick Default or Forced, but SDH is the only subtitle I use, and it gets annoying having to manually change it for every movie and every episode that I watch.

emby sdh sub.png

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Emby has no idea what an SDH subtitle is.

There might be temporary workaround if only external SDH subs were obtained, those should take precedence assuming Subtitle mode is not Default.

Edited by GrimReaper
Rephrase

TeijiIshida
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

What "Subtitle mode" is set under your user App Settings>Subtitles tab?

This part of settings.

2023-01-08 10_52_38-Subtitles — Mozilla Firefox.png

GrimReaper

Yep, that one. As stated above, if you obtain external HI/SDH srt subs for an unplayed item, are they pre-selected? 

TeijiIshida
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Yep, that one. As stated above, if you obtain external HI/SDH srt subs for an unplayed item, are they pre-selected? 

If I download them manually and rename them to the same as the video, obviously, they will be selected when played. But for internal subs, Emby always pick "Default" sub.

9 minutes ago, TeijiIshida said:

But for internal subs, Emby always pick "Default" sub.

Hi.  That's what the Default flag is for - to indicate a preference for a particular sub.  You could mark your SDH ones as default for your case.

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, TeijiIshida said:

If I download them manually and rename them to the same as the video, obviously, they will be selected when played. But for internal subs, Emby always pick "Default" sub.

Hence I sad "temporary workaround" until/if your FR gets implemented: you can use tool like Bazarr to DL only HI subs for your entire library, hence automating much of the process. For internal subs, your need to change Default flag as @ebr suggested.

Edited by GrimReaper

ginjaninja
On 08/01/2023 at 15:08, TeijiIshida said:

Please add an option to "Always play SDH Subtitle" under Subtitle Mode. Emby currently always pick Default or Forced, but SDH is the only subtitle I use, and it gets annoying having to manually change it for every movie and every episode that I watch.

dont know if mkvs are your preferred container or tinkering / scripting is your thing, but in its current state this script sets subtitles with "forced" in their name to flag=forced in the mkv. it wouldnt be too much of a stretch to set subtitles with "sdh" in their name to flag=default. let me know if interested / you want help going down this path.

• 4 months later...
FrostByte
On 1/8/2023 at 12:31 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  That's what the Default flag is for - to indicate a preference for a particular sub.  You could mark your SDH ones as default for your case.

Duplicate of another request, but not sure why this one would be so hard to implement since the code is probably almost already done as you can already detect other flags and use them.  SDH is just another flag which ffprobe supports and it would be nice to be able to configure a userid to use SDH as their defaulted type.

Also, the default flag is NOT a very good permanent solution for myself as I'm already using that flag for FULL subtitles. 

My wife is almost deaf and needs SDH.  Myself I have a hard time picking out some words occasionally and prefer Full subtitles which is my default, but I don't need everything that's in SDH subtitles when the wife isn't watching with me.  Then my son uses Forced when he visits. 

Why can't Emby fully support SDH subtitles like Kodi does?  Kodi recognizes internal flagged SDH PGS subtitles and also external subtitles with .SDH in the filename.  They have a setting for SDH subtitles too.  OpenSubtitles even adds SDH or HI to their filenames so that would be automatic when downloading external subtitles.

As you see it's been over 2 years and we still don't support people like my wife with disabilities a little more by allowing them to make SDH subtitles their default type without using another flag that may already be used for another type.  

image.png.c727fb33ef254690c144f6072f35cdcb.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

rbjtech
17 hours ago, crusher11 said:

How does one set that flag? I've just been naming my tracks as SDH. 

mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge/mkvpropedit - Set or Add 'Hearing impared' flag on the SDH subtitle track.   You can also do it via ffmpeg with the disposition flag.

Emby doesn't recognise it anyway at this point in time - so little point making the effort to set them (for emby) at the moment ...

Once it has been implemeted, then as long as you have SDH in the name - then I think it's reasonable for emby to use that instead - as it's very very rare to see the MKV set correctly but common to see the term SDH used in the filename...

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 months later...

HI, the hearing impaired status for subtitles, both internal and external will be supported in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Thanks.

• Like 2

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, the hearing impaired status for subtitles, both internal and external will be supported in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Thanks.

Thanks @Luke

Can you confirm the external naming convention please - as currently I'm having to append it to the language - otherwise it gets ignore - even on the latest beta.

The below 'works' -

Billions (2016) - s07e08 - WEBDL-1080p.English-SDH.srt

giving -

image.png.57e309f91beb661877a8f18276ab0732.png

but

filename.en.sdh.srt does not - it just ignores the sdh part - giving -

image.png.9d78e880cc885edb4a70364f4a81a199.png

Thanks !

• Agree 1