Emby Server on MacOS, lots of issues, slow lib scan, etc. Reinstall?

raevengel

raevengel

Hi,

Emby hasn’t been working well on our M1 Mac Mini for a few months now but due to multiple surgeries, a death in the family and a couple of other very serious family emergencies, I haven’t really had the chance to troubleshoot. 

Currently running the latest version (4.7.11.0). But it won’t create a taskbar icon (throws an error in the logs), it’s lost most of the library metadata, it’s even lost media that it found right away last night. It’s not able to match a lot of the metadata on its own requiring a manual identification, and the library scan is taking literally 20 hours or so thus far and it’s not even halfway through. This mostly appears to be an issue for the TV library, others scan and find everything just fine.

I have some plugins installed and setup and I’d rather not scrap things and start over but I’m not really sure what to do. I can’t even tell for sure if Emby is running like I used to given that the icon won’t start. It’s showing episodes are missing when they are aren’t and I don’t know if it hasn’t rescanned those yet or why they even were lost in the first place since they where there last night. I also can’t choose which version I play from the AppleTV app as that choice seems to be missing (even when it has found more than one matching version for an item). 

Should it be calling on ffmpeg to do work when it’s scanning the library? This is part of what seems to be taking so long - it’s calling up ffmpeg for just about every item, as far as I can tell - though I’m not really sure why. Is it also detecting intros or something at the same time?

If the best option is to wipe and restart, is there a way to back up the configuration, wipe then reinstall without moving over the bugs? Or do I need to start over completely? Either way, do I just delete the Emby entry in Applications and then drag it there again anew?

Thanks so much in advance. I’d really appreciate any assistance.

But it won’t create a taskbar icon (throws an error in the logs),

Hi, apologies, this hasn't been added yet to the new M1-specific builds but it will be coming. It's in the x64 build if you need it immediately.

Should it be calling on ffmpeg to do work when it’s scanning the library?

Hi, to probe new or updated files, yes.

raevengel
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, to probe new or updated files, yes.

OK, well, that’s one thing that’s OK then. Really good to know. I don’t honestly understand what happened because Emby essentially “lost” all its metadata and is seeing all the files as if they are new, even though they aren’t. In addition, I had previous scans save all media info with the files so each items already has images and .nfo files included that it should be able to read from. Instead, it’s basically starting all over, which is odd. Maybe it just takes this long for it to complete.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the issue with the icon in the task bar. I didn’t realize that went away once the native M1 server became available. It used to just be there. But that makes sense now, given this is now a native M1 app and it wasn’t previously.

I’ll try to let it finish the scan (might be tomorrow at this speed) and see if it stabilizes. If not, I’ll definitely post a log as soon as the scan is complete.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...