Chromecast Media Player and 60fps

adam83

Hi,

I am a big fan of 60fps and all my home videos are in h264 59.94 fps with bitrate around 15000 kbps.

I have an Emby server 4.7.11.0 installed on my home server (docker on ubuntu). On my phone I have Emby for Android 3.2.90. Everything works ok. I mean that direct streaming on my phone is perfect as well as on Chrome browsers. 

I have a Chromecast 3rd generation that supports 1080p 60fs. It works perfectly with 1080p 60fps youtube videos and other streaming platforms. The problem is with when I cast my 60fps home video to Chromecast (emby media player as far as I remember 2.1.0 version) Video is not smooth. Sometimes it looses some video frames. Sometimes the audio is interrupted for a second or two. It is playable but it is very frustrating when you watch a video and it is choppy sometimes. 

I thougt that it may be a problem with my wifi. Chromecast is like 30cm in front of my router and I have zero problems with Netflix, Disney etc streaming. So this is not network problem.

I tried to reduce the bitrate to 10000 kbps. The same result. I converted a video to 30 fps and there were no problems even with higher bitrates. 

Today I bought Chromecast 4 HD. It is even worse. I couldn't catch a 10 seconds of playback without frame drop in 60fps

I installed Emby For Android TV on Chromecast 4.0 and it works perfectly. Not even single frame drop even with 20000 kbps. Perfect 60fps playback. So the hardware is able to handle 60fps 15000 kbps h264 video. 

My question is what is wrong with this emby media player for Chromecast? Why It can't cast 60fps videos smoothly?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...